[Rarebooks] FS: First Pruss edition of "Viola Sanctum [Martyrologium]" Strassburg: 1487

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 16:28:15 EST 2016

(INCUNABULA) [Martyrologium]. VIOLA SANCTORUM. (Strassburg: Johann Pruss. August 23, 1487]. 4to. 145 (of 146) leaves without the original blank final leaf. Large capital in blue on the first leaf of text, A1, otherwise not rubricated. Early 19th century polished calf, nicely rebacked with blind and gilt tooling. Name of previous owner Edmund Waterton on front blank and title. Some occasional soiling (title leaf, and a light tide mark at lower inner margin to a section of about 30 leaves). Two 19th century bookplates of Edmund Waterton of Walton (1830-1887), a British antiquary, and John Hall. Several small worm holes at front, mainly in the blank margins, not affecting text.             $6,500.00 (trade discount allowed)
The first of 3 editions printed by Pruss of the "Martyrologium," the official catalog of martyrs and saints of the Roman Catholic Church, including some details of their lives, and arranged by dates (January to December) of their anniversaries. At front of our edition are 9 leaves of "Register," a table of contents of the saints and martyrs recorded in this edition. The ISTC records 9 editions 1474-1499. All are uncommon. No copy of our 1487 edition appears at auction (ABPC). ISTC im00337000; Hain 10870; BMC I 120; Goff M337.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342