[Rarebooks] FS: 17th century Hebrew-Latin Bible once owned by Jacob H. Schiff

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 15:49:11 EST 2016

(BIBLE. O.T. HEBREW AND LATIN) BIBLIA HEBRAICA, cum Interlineari Interpretatione Latina, Xantis Pagnini... Interpretatio... Ben. Ariae Montani... Collato Studio e Verbo Reddita... (Antwerp): Ex Officina Plantiniana Raphelengii. 1613. 8vo. 2 volumes. (60),659,(1)pp. [Volume I: The Hebrew Bible, or Pentateuch]. Interlinear Translation, Hebrew and Latin. WITH: [Volume II] (BIBLE. PROPHETS. HEBREW AND LATIN) LIBRI JEHOSUAH, JUDICUM, SAMUELIS, ET REGUM Hebraice: cum Interlineari Versione Xantis Pagnini; Ben. Ariae Montani, & Aliorum Collato... (Antwerp): Ex Officiana Plantiniana Raphelengii. 1611. 583,(1)pp. BOUND WITH: LIBRI DUO PARALIPOMENON HEBRAICE... Xantis Pagnini... Ben. Ariae Montani. (Antwerp): Ex Officina Plantiniana Raphelengii. 1611. (549)-763pp. BOUND WITH: (BIBLE. O.T. PSALMS. HEBREW AND LATIN) PSALMI DAVIDIS HEBRAICI... Xantis Pagnini, Ben. Ariae Montani... (Antwerp): Ex Officina Plantiniana Raphelengii. 1615. 183,(1)pp. Both volumes bound in early calf, rebacked, with old red morocco spine labels laid down. Each volume with the ink inscription by Jacob H. Schiff stating that the set was purchased in March of 1887 in St. Augustine, Florida. Also, each volume signed on the titles, "E Libri Ricardi Fry" (circa 1700?).    $2,500.00 (trade discount allowed)
Four parts of the interlinear Bible printed by Plantin first in the early 1580s and then reprinted often. We have the Hebrew Bible (Vol. I) and Vol. II contains the Prophets "Joshua, Judges, Samuel & Kings" with "Chronicles I & II," and with The Book of Psalms. The previous owner, Jacob H. Schiff (1847-1920) has been called "The foremost American Jewish leader from 1880 to 1920." He was a banker, businessman and philanthropist, with a great deal of influence in world affairs..

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342