[Rarebooks] World War I sheet music lot

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 17:57:47 EST 2016

*This lot contains 37 different titles (47 pieces of sheet music, including
duplicates), priced to sell at $250 net, postpaid.*

1.  Au revoir...sheet music. AU REVOIR, BUT NOT GOOD-BYE (SOLDIER BOY).
Words by Lew Brown. Music by Albert Von Tilzer. NY: Broadway Music, 1917.
First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "So you're leaving me today,
Soldier boy And you're going far away, Soldier boy...." 13.5" x 10.5" Very
Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover by E.E. Walton shows a doughboy in uniform with pack and rifle
bidding farewell to a comely young woman.  (2 copies)

2.  Dear old...sheet music. DEAR OLD PAL OF MINE Words by Harold Robe.
Music by Gitz Rice. Sung by Mr. John McCormack. NY: G. Ricordi, 1918. First
edition. 8pp, in part:  "All my life is empty, Since I went away, Skies
don't seem to be so clear...." A cover photo shows Gitz Rice in uniform as
Lieutenant in the 1st Canadians during World War I. 13.5" x 10.25"  Very
Good. Pictorial Cover.

3.  Good-bye..sheet music. GOOD-BYE FRANCE (You'll Never Be Forgotten by
the U.S.A.). NY: Waterson, Berlin & Snyder, 1918. First Edition. By
Sergeant Irving Berlin. 4pp, words and music, in part: "I can picture the
boys `over there,' Making plenty of noise, `over there' .." 12" x 8.75".
Very Good. Pictorial cover.

4.  Hello...sheet music. HELLO CENTRAL! GIVE ME NO MAN'S LAND. Words by
Sam. M. Lewis & Joe Young. Music by Jean Schwartz. NY: Waterson, Berlin &
Snyder, 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "When the gray
shadows creep, And the world is asleep, In the still of the night, Baby
creeps down a flight...."  Archival repairs to backs of a few edge tears.
13.75" x 10.5" Good. Pictorial cover.
"Successfully introduced by Mignon," with her photo inset on the cover
designed by Barbelle.

5.  Hello...sheet music. HELLO CENTRAL! GIVE ME NO MAN'S LAND. Words by
Sam. M. Lewis & Joe Young. Music by Jean Schwartz. NY: Waterson, Berlin &
Snyder , 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "When the gray
shadows creep, And the world is asleep, In the still of the night, Baby
creeps down a flight. First she looks all around, Without making a sound;
Then baby toddles up to the telephone...." 13.75" x 10.5" Very Good.
Pictorial Cover.
Introduced by Al Jolson in "Sinbad" at the Winter Garden. The cover by
Barbelle depicts a battlefield, with a woman at a telephone and an inset
portrait of Jolson. (2 copies)

6.  Hello.sheet music. HELLO CENTRAL! GIVE ME NO MAN'S LAND. Words by Sam.
M. Lewis & Joe Young. Music by Jean Schwartz. NY: Waterson, Berlin &
Snyder, 1918. First Edition. Introduced by Al Jolson in "Sinbad" at the
Winter Garden. Contains lyrics, melody line, and piano accompaniment. 4pp,
in part: "When the gray shadows creep, And the world is asleep, In the
still of the night, Baby creeps down a flight. First she looks all around,
Without making a sound; Then baby toddles up to the telephone." Archival
repairs to few edge tears. 13.75" x 10.5". Good. Pictorial cover.

7.  HITCHY-KOO. Sheet music (1) from this Broadway show.  Song: I May Be
Gone for A Long, Long Time. Lyric by Lew Brown. Music by Albert von Tilzer.
Musical review, produced by Raymond Hitchcock and E. Ray Goetz, starring
Grace La Rue. NY: Broadway Music, 1917. First Edition. 4pp, words and
music, in part: "Goodbye dear, I'm leaving you today Don't cry dear, just
dry those tears away. Duty calls and I must obey, but I'll always hope and
pray....and I'll be just as true to you, as to the Red, White and Blue...."
 13.75" x 10.5" Very Good. Pictorial Paper Covers.
The color-pictorial cover by DeTakacs shows a woman's head floating in dark
clouds over a gray sea and an orange sunset.  (2 copies)

8.  It's A Long...sheet music). IT'S A LONG WAY TO BERLIN, BUT WE'LL GET
THERE. Words by Arthur Fields. Music by Leon Flatow. NY: Leo Feist, 1917.
First Edition. 4pp, in part: "Rueben Plank a husky Yank, Came into town one
day, And said `I can't resist, I really must enlist by heck, I'll help to
get that Kaiser Bill I hear so much a bout' ...." 13.75" x 10.5" Very Good.
Pictorial Cover.  (2 copies)

9.  It's time...sheet music. IT'S TIME FOR EVERY BOY TO BE A SOLDIER. Lyric
by Alfred Bryan. Music by Harry Tierney. NY: Jerome H. Remick, 1917. First
Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "Most ev'ry fellow has a sweetheart
Some little girl with eyes of blue My daddy also had a sweetheart And he
fought to win her too...."  13.5" x 10.5" Very Good. Pictorial cover.
The cover shows a doughboy standing with his rifle, US capitol in
background, and circular photos of Lincoln and Wilson above.

10.  Just a...sheet music. JUST A BABY'S PRAYER AT TWILIGHT (FOR HER DADDY
OVER THERE). Words by Sam M. Lewis & Joe Young. Music by M.K. Jerome. NY:
Waterson, Berlin & Snyder, 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in
part: "I've heard the pray'rs of mothers, Some of them old and gray. I've
heard the pray'rs of others, For those who went away...."  13.5" x 10.5"
Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover by Barbelle shows a little girl, kneeling in her nightgown on her
bed, hands pointed in prayer, her wide-eyed, mutillated dolly on the
pillow.

11.  Just like...sheet music. JUST LIKE WASHINGTON CROSSED THE DELAWARE,
GENERAL PERSHING WILL CROSS THE RHINE. Words by Howard Johnson, Music by
Geo. W. Meyer. NY: Leo Feist, 1918. First edition. 4pp, words and music, In
part: "Looking backward through the ages, We can read on hist'ry's pages,
Deeds that famous men have done, We are told of great commanders Wellington
and Alexanders, And the battles they have won." A number of short edge
tears were repaired inside with archival tape.  13.75" x 10.5" Good.
Pictorial Cover.
The cover reproduces the famous oil painting of Washington's Christmas Day
crossing of the Delaware River to surprise the British at Trenton. In a
decorative frame is a photo-portrait of Pershing.  (3 copies)

12.  Keep your...sheet music. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN, FRITZI BOY (WE SAW YOU):
The Famous Trench Song of the Canadian, British and American Soldiers. NY:
T.B. Harms and Francis, Day & Hunter, 1913. First Edition. Written and
composed by C.W. Murphy & Worton David. 8pp, words and music, in part: "At
the club one ev'ning Jones was telling all his pals, How much he hated
girls, Despis'd their golden curls...." 13.25" x 10.25" Very Good.
Pictorial Cover.
The cover depicts trench warfare, bombs bursting overhead, an infantryman,
etc. "Soldier version used by courtesy of Robert Emmett Keane." The scan
shows only the top half of the cover.

13.  Kiss...sheet music. THE KISS THAT MADE ME CRY Words by Joe Burns and
Arthur Fields. Music by Archie Gottler. NY: Leo Feist, 1918. First Edition.
4pp, words and music, in part: "Soldier boy fought for Old Glory, Now he is
safely home...."  10.5" x 6.75" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
War Edition format.

14.  Let Lovelight...sheet music. LET LOVELIGHT BE ALWAYS SHINING: For the
Loved Ones Away. Buffalo, NY: H.C. Weasner, 1918. First Edition. Words and
music by H.C. Weasner. 4pp, in part: "When twilight shades are softly
falling, And nature seems to be at rest, Tis then we love to dream of
love-days...." Name on cover, few tiny edge tears. 13.75" x 10.5" Very
Good. Pictorial cover.

15.  Let's All..sheet music. LET'S ALL BE AMERICANS NOW. By Irving Berlin,
Edgar Leslie & Geo. W. Meyer. NY: Waterson, Berlin & Snyder, 1917. First
Edition. 4pp, words and music in part: "Peace has always been our pray'r,
Now there's trouble in the air, War is talked of every-where, Still in God
we trust...." 13.75" x 10.5" Good +. Pictorial cover.

16.  Liberty...sheet music. LIBERTY BELL (IT'S TIME TO RING AGAIN). Words
by Joe Goodwin. Music by Halsey K. Mohr. NY: Shapiro, Bernstein, 1917.
First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "You have rested, Liberty
Bell, For a hundred years and more, End your slumber, Liberty Bell, Ring as
you did before...." Archival repairs to several edge tears. 13.75" x 10.75"
Good +. Pictorial Cover.
The cover by Barbelle shows General Washington, another officer, and Betsy
Ross in silhouette, with the Liberty Bell above them.

17.  Little bit...sheet music. A LITTLE BIT OF SUNSHINE (FROM HOME) Words
by Ballard MacDonald & Joe Goodwin. Music by James F. Hanley. NY: Shapiro,
Bernstein & Co., 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "Say,
neighbor, did you write to say 'Hello!' To Frank, and Jim, and Joe, The
boys who had to go?..." 13.25" x 10.5" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover shows sailors and soldiers in uniform, reading mail. Inset is a
photo of W.J. Reilly, U.S.S. Michigan.

18.  Long boy...sheet music. LONG BOY: GOOD-BYE, MA! GOOD-BYE, PA!
GOOD-BYE, MULE WITH YER OLD HEE-HAW! Words by William Herschell. Music by
Barclay Walker. Scenery by Gaar Williams. NY: Shapiro, Bernstein & Co.,
1917. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "He was just a long,
lean country gink From 'way out West shere th' hoptoads wink...." 13.5" x
10.5" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover shows stereotypical "dirt farmers" waving goodbye to their son,
marching off in uniform and rifle.

19.  Lorraine.sheet music. LORRAINE (My Beautiful Alsace Lorraine). Words
by Alfred Bryan. Music by Fred Fisher. NY McCarthy & Fisher (1917)., 1917.
1st Edition. Pictorial paper covers and contents in very condition. 13.75"
x 10.5" 4pp The red-white-blue cover shows a fierce-looking soldier in
helmet and bayonet as Lady Liberty and a young girl look on. In part:
"Beside a campfire gleaming, A grenadier was dreaming . I'm coming to you
Loraine, Loraine, O welcome me home once again, To live and die in my
Alsace Loraine.". Illustrated by cover illus by De Takacs. First Edition.
Binding is original wraps. Soft cover.

20.  Most beautiful...sheet music. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL FLAG IN THE WORLD.
Lyric by Charles H. Newman. Music by Jack Glogau. Rochester, NY: Lew Berk,
1917. First Edition. 4pp, words and music. 13.5" x 10.5" Good +. Pictorial
Cover.

21.  Mother...sheet music. MOTHER, HERE'S YOUR BOY! (Mere, Voici Votre
Enfant!) Words and music by Sidney D. Mitchell, Archie Gottler and Theodore
Morse. NY: Leo Feist, 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part:
"News has come to us from far across the foam, Boys are coming back from
'Over There'...."  10.5" x 7" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
War Edition format. The cover shows Uncle Sam reuniting a doughboy and his
mother, with the Statue of Liberty in the background.

22.  Navy Took Them.sheet music. THE NAVY TOOK THEM OVER AND THE NAVY WILL
BRING THEM BACK! Words by Yeoman Howard Johnson. Music by Ira Schuster. NY:
Leo. Feist, 1918. First Edition. 4pp The blue and yellow cover features a
photograph of hundreds of men and officers on the deck, guns, and mast of a
battleship. Two verses and a chorus. In part: "`Over There' we hear of
heroes, Who've been fighting for you and me. Ev'ry where we see our
soldiers, Decorated for bravery . Tho' the Army is the clover, 'Twas the
Navy took them over, and the Navy will bring them back!" 10.25" x 6.75".
Very Good. Pictorial Cover.  (2 copies)

23.  Oh moon...sheet music. OH, MOON OF THE SUMMER NIGHT (Tell My Mother
Her Boy's All Right). NY: Al Piantadosi, 1918. First edition. Words and
music by Allan J. Flynn. 4pp, in part: "Over There, The silv'ry moon was
shining, Over There, A soldier boy while pining...."  The cover shows a
doughboy peering out of a foxhole at the picket line; inset portrait of
Bessie Hamilton. 12" x 9.25" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
Sung with great success by Miss Bessie Hamilton (Phenomenal Baritone) with
Lady Bountiful Minstrels.

24.  Oh! how...sheet music. OH! HOW I HATE TO GET UP IN THE MORNING: Irving
Berlin's Bugle Song. NY: Waterson, Berlin & Snyder, 1918. First Edition.
Words and music by Irving Berlin. 4pp, in part: "The other day I chanced to
meet a soldier friend of mine, He'd been in camp for sev'ral weeks and he
was looking fine...." Few short edge tears archivally repaired. 13.5" x
10.5" Good. Pictorial Cover.

25.  Poor little...sheet music. POOR LITTLE BUTTERFLY IS A FLY GIRL NOW
Lyric by Sam M. Lewis & Joe Young. Music by M.K. Jerome. NY: Waterson,
Berlin & Snyder, 1919. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "All
alone in her pagoda, Waiting for her sailor man...." 12" x 9.25" Very Good.
Pictorial Cover.
On the cover, a geisha in traditional dress waits under a parasol.

26.  Say a prayer...sheet music. SAY A PRAYER FOR THE BOYS "OUT THERE"
Words by Bernie Grossman. Music by Alex Marr. NY: Joe Morris Music, 1917.
First edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "A mighty nation hears a
ringing call to arm, A call that draws her sons from city, vale and
farm...."  On the cover, a small family prays at their dinner table, a
portrait of their son in uniform on the wall; inset is a photo of Cook &
Oatman. 13.5" x 10.5" Good +. Pictorial Cover.

27.  Send Me...sheet music. SEND ME AWAY WITH A SMILE: A War Love Song with
Universal Appeal. Words & music by Louis Weslyn and Al Piantadosi. NY: Al.
Piantadosi, 1917. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "Little
girl, don't cry, I must say `Good-bye'; Don't you hear the bugle call? And
the fife and drum bid the fellows come, Where the flag waves over all ...."
Missoula, Montana piano company stamp on cover. 14" x 10.5" Very Good.
Pictorial Cover.
The cover shows a woman waving her hanky in farewell to a soldier in battle
gear.

28.  So Long...sheet music. SO LONG, MOTHER: Al Jolson's Mother Song. Lyric
by Raymond Egan and Gus Kahn. Music by Egbert Van Alstyne. NY: Jerome H.
Remick, 1917. First Edition. 4pp, in part: "Oh mother dear a little tear is
gleaming in your eye Your lips are all a-tremble as you hear me say
`good-bye' ...." 13.5 x 10.5" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover features a young soldier hugging his mother, with an inset
portrait of Al Jolson.  (2 copies)

29.  Somewhere...sheet music. SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE IS THE LILLY: March
Ballad. NY: M. Witmark & Sons, 1917. First Edition. "Written and sung with
great success by the well known composer, Jos. E. Howard of Howard &
Clark." Lyric by Philander Johnson. 4pp, words and music, in part: "One day
as morning shed its glow Across the eastern sky, A boy and girl in accents
low, In a garden said `Good-bye!'..." Corners creased and lightly chipped.
13.5 x 10.5". Good. Pictorial cover.

30.  Somewhere..sheet music. SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE IS THE LILLY: March
Ballad. NY: M. Witmark & Sons, 1917. First Edition. "Written and sung with
great success by the well known composer, Jos. E. Howard of Howard &
Clark." Lyric by Philander Johnson. 4pp, words and music, in part: "One day
as morning shed its glow Across the eastern sky, A boy and girl in accents
low, In a garden said `Good-bye!' .." 13.5 x 10.5". Very Good. Pictorial
cover.

31.  They Were...sheet music. THEY WERE ALL OUT OF STEP BUT JIM. Words and
music by Irving Berlin. NY: Waterson, Berlin & Snyder, 1918. First Edition.
4pp, in part: "Jimmy's mother went to see her son, Marching along on
parade; In his uniform and with his gun, What a lovely picture he made...."
Corners creased. 13.75" x 10.5" Good. Pictorial cover.  (2 copies)

32.  We'll knock...sheet music. WE'LL KNOCK THE HELIGO-INTO-HELIGO-OUT OF
HELIGOLAND! Words by John O'Brien. Music by Theodore Morse. NY: Leo Feist,
1917. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "The bo'sn blew and a
Yankee crew stopped to hear him say: `My lads, get under way, we're leaving
port today, Hooray!...'" 13.75" x 10.5" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover shows American sailors with rifles coming ashore off a ship and
the Kaiser hugging himself. Inset is a photo-portrait of Elsie White.

33.  Wee, wee...sheet music. WEE, WEE, MARIE (WILL YOU DO ZIS FOR ME).
Words by Alfred Bryan and Joe McCarthy. Music by Fred Fisher. NY: McCarthy
& Fisher Music, 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "Poor
Johnny's heart went pitty, pitty, pat, Somewhere in sunny France. He met a
girl by chance with ze naughty naughty glance...." 12.25" x 9.25" Very
Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover by deTakacs shows a well-dressed French woman approaching a
doughboy.

34.  Wee, wee...sheet music. WEE, WEE, MARIE (WILL YOU DO ZIS FOR ME).
Words by Alfred Bryan and Joe McCarthy. Music by Fred Fisher. NY: McCarthy
& Fisher Music, 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "Poor
Johnny's heart went pitty, pitty, pat, Somewhere in sunny France. He met a
girl by chance with ze naughty naughty glance...." 13.75" x 10.5" Very
Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover by deTakacs shows a well-dressed French woman approaching a
doughboy.

35.  What Are You...sheet music. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO HELP THE BOYS?
Buy A Liberty Bond! NY: Jerome H. Remick, 1918. First Edition. Lyric by Gus
Kahn. Music by Egbert Van Alstyne. 4pp, in part: "Your Uncle Sam is calling
now on ev'ry one of you If you're too old or young to fight there's
something else to do ...." 13.5" x 10.5" Very Good. Pictorial Cover.
The cover by E.E. Walton shows Uncle Sam in a question mark, overlooking
several war bonds.  (2 copies)

36.  When we...sheet music. WHEN WE WELCOME OUR BOYS BACK HOME: Victory
March Song. Words by Ralph Abell. Music by Leon Rundell. Binghamton, NY:
Elk Music, 1918. First Edition. 4pp, words and music, in part: "Our loving
sons went away to fight for liberty They sailed across the sea and gained
the victory...." Prior owner's name on cover. 13.5" x 10.5" Very Good.
Pictorial Cover.
The full-cover photograph by Dearstyne is a birdseye view of marching WWI
troops in uniforms and campaign hats.

37.  Where do...sheet music. WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? By Howard Johnson
and Percy Wenrich. NY: Leo Feist, 1917. First edition. 4pp, words and
music, in part: "Paddy Mack drove a hack Up and down Broadway, Pat had one
expression and he'd use it ev'ry day...." Old dampmark at top of spine, not
noticeable on cover. 13.75" x 10.75" Good +. Pictorial Cover.

    *  R & A  Petrilla*

*          Booksellers/Appraisers                     PO Box 306
 Roosevelt, NJ 08555                   (609) 426-4999
<%28609%29%20426-4999>*

*Sign up for New Arrival Notifications:**      www.petrillabooks.com
<http://www.petrillabooks.com>*

*      Member:  ABAA, ILAB, IOBA*