[Rarebooks] Companion volume to Bachelder's Gettysburg Print

Powers Rare Books powersrarebooks at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 15:25:56 EDT 2016

I can offer:

Bachelder, John B.  Descriptive Key to the Painting of the Repulse of Longstreet’s Assault at the Battle of Gettysburg.  (July 3, 1863.)  Historically Arranged by John B. Bachelder, and Painted by James Walker.  Embracing a Brief Outline of the Battle, Showing the Relative Positions of the Contending Forces, and Explaining the Points of Local and Military Interest Delineated by the Artist.  With Appendix.  Containing Private Letters and Official Reports from Both Armies, Showing the Authorities for the Painting; With a Complete Index of the Officers and Troops Mentioned.

New York: Published by the Author, 1870.   With 14 steel-engraved portraits, numerous facsimile letters, two woodcut vignettes, and the folding key to the painting bound at the rear.  Large 8vo, full plum cloth with elaborate gilt decoration on the covers, gilt-lettered spine.  94 pp. + [1] ads.  Spine and edges faded, spine ends chipped and corners rubbed; cloth splitting at upper joint; some foxing to a few of the portraits and facing text.  A good copy.

A fulsome companion to Bachelder’s famous print of the Battle.  According to the advertisement at the end, Bachelder’s Key was issued in three formats—in a small pamphlet; in a regular clothbound edition published at one dollar, and in this Fine Edition described thusly: “on heavy toned paper.  Fourteen splendid Steel Portraits of Generals.  Elaborately bound, levant cloth, gilt, beveled boards, gilt edges,” which was offered at five dollars.   In the Preface he states, “It was not my intention at first to illustrate it; but, having the plates of nearly fifty steel portraits, which have been engraved for my history of the battle, I decided to insert into a FINE EDITION of this work the portraits of such generals as actually participated in this part of the battle.  I regret that the portraits of Confederate generals, now being engraved, could not have been added, but the publication having been but recently contemplated, they could not be completed in season.”

$350 plus shipping.

For photos visit http://gregpowers.wixsite.com/powersrarebooks

Cheers,
Greg