[Rarebooks] FS: Eastman Johnson at Nantucket - Rare 1944 Crosby

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jun 6 08:03:06 EDT 2016

"Eastman Johnson at Nantucket. His Paintings and Sketches of Nantucket
People and Scenes”

By Everett U. Crosby.
Published on Nantucket by Everett Crosby in 1944.
Edition limited to 200 copies "printed for private distribution".

A very nice copy of one of the rarest and most desirable books in the
bibliography of American art reference, and Nantucket history. Johnson
worked on Nantucket for some 20 years, and Crosby was one of the
island's most diligent historians. This was an attempt to document all
the paintings and sketches Johnson made of the island.

Everett Umberto Crosby [1871-1960] was a longtime Nantucket historian
and the author of half a dozen or more books and pamphlets about the art
and history of the island. a director of the Nantucket Foundation, in
1945 he helped to found and organize the Artists Association of
Nantucket. In their sweeping study 'The Decorative Arts & Crafts of
Nantucket' Charles & Mary Carpenter note- "The books of Everett U.
Crosby were important contributions to Nantucket history. His
'Ninety-five Per Cent Perfect' was the catalyst for the formation of
Nantucket's Historic District designation in the 1950s."

Hardcover. 8.5"x11", 67 pages, 46 full-page black & white plates, 1
black & white illustration and a portrait frontispiece of the artist. A
little wear to the covers, a penciled note is taped to the endpaper
stating "For Bobbie from the author's son".  $2,000-

Some Pictures =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page5.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page6.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page7.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page8.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page9.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38832-page10.jpg>

  - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog363.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.