[Rarebooks] F/S An Off The Wall Dickens Piece

Garry R Austin austbook at sover.net
Wed Jun 8 17:06:04 EDT 2016

We offer for your consideration net to all and postpaid @ $75, the
following;

Dickens, Charles. The Life Of Our Lord, Written For His Children, 1849,
And Kept As A Precious Secret For Eighty-Five Years. Np: United Feature
Syndicate, 1934.
Arranged on the pages of a Victorian scrapbook; Quarto; pp; (26);
illustrated with twelve plates by Gustave Dore; original decorated
yellow cloth boards lettered in gilt, "Scrapbook". The initial four
pages are lined with late 19th century clippings, Civil War etc, The
Dickens' piece has been carefully extracted from the original Syndicate
Newspaper and beautifully arranged on the pages; with a single chapter
and the accompanying illustration presented on opposing leaves; The
scrapbook has a lovely bookseller's tag on the front paste-down; "J.
Frank Pierce, Dealer In Books, Stationery, Newspapers & Magazines, 138
Water St. Augusta Me." There are no other identifying marks or ownership
names;

The first serial rights for North and South America went to United
Feature Syndicate Inc., whose General Manager Monte Bourjaily outbid
King Features Syndicate, Bell Syndicate, NANA, and NEA. United Features
promptly resold The Life of Our Lord to a sufficient number of United
States newspapers to avoid giving first publication to a magazine.It was
first published, in serial form, in March 1934. In 1934, Simon &
Schuster published the first American edition, which became one of the
year's biggest bestsellers. In the United Kingdom it was published by
Associated Newspapers Ltd, also in 1934.

  I stated in the tag line above, "an off-the-wall Dickens piece!

Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730
Wilmington Vt 05363
802 464-8438