[Rarebooks] FS: Godman's magnum opus 3 vol. "American Natural History." Philadelphia: 1826-28

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 11:48:53 EDT 2016

(NATURAL HISTORY) Godman, John D. AMERICAN NATURAL HISTORY. Part I - Mastology. Philadelphia: H. C. Carey & I. Lea [Volume III: Carey, Lea & Carey]. 1826-1828. 3 volumes. 8vo. (2),362;(2),331,(1);(2),264pp. Index. Illustrated with 3 added engraved titles, and 49 plates, including a frontispiece in Volume I. Complete. All 3 volumes very attractively rebound in full tan calf, spines ornately gilt, each with 2 red morocco spine labels. Volumes I and II are uniform. Volume III is very similar, but the spine is more ornately gilt tooled. Some text and plate foxing as usually encountered. A very attractive set.                 $650.00 (trade discount allowed)
Godman (1794-1830) was an American physician and naturalist. These 3 volumes are "all published" of a proposed larger work. The DAB calls AMERICAN NATURAL HISTORY "His [Godman's] Magnum Opus... This was the first original treatise on the subject and a valuable addition to the scientific literature of the country." Volume III has a large section (pp. 98-237) on whales and whale-fishing. Meisel, AMERICAN BIBLIOGRAPHY OF NATURAL HISTORY, Vol. III p. 396.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342