[Rarebooks] fs 1858-61_Life of Mahomet_4v_Muir_George Smith LLD

Levant Books samarkandbks at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:48:58 EST 2016

Offering today:

The Life of Mahomet and History of Islam to the Era of the Hegira by William Muir Esq. Published London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1858 and 1861. The rare 4 volume set, complete in original brown cloth binding with blind stamping decorations and titles stamped in gold on the spine. Only slight general general wear - a lovely set. Pictures are available.

Plates in each Volume are:

Volume I: Plan of Mecca (from Burkhardt)

Volume II: Plan of Kaaba

                View of the Kaaba

                Front and Side view of the Black Stone

Volume III: Plan of Modern Medina

Volume IV: Chronological view of events at Medina

NOTE: Vol IV is mostly uncut. Publisher’s catalogues bound into back of all four volumes.

As I understand the first two volumes were published in 1858, the last two in 1861 in nearly identical bindings.

Volumes I and II have the handwritten name “ James Whyte / The Manse / Methwick” on the front endpapers whom I believe was a minister.

Notably, Volumes III and IV belonged to British historian George Smith, LLD of Serampore and have his card on the front pastedown of Vol III and IV and additionally his signature is written on the title page of Volume IV.

[Thanks to assistance from colleagues on this list it appears the last time this set was on the market was 1999 at Christies and sold for approx $1900.00]

Postpaid in the US this set is $1500.00. International shipping at cost.

Thank you for looking,
Robert Azzi
Exeter NH
1.603.264.6564