[Rarebooks] FS: World War I Soldier's letter from France

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 08:30:14 EDT 2016

Irwin, Pvt. Andrew F. HANDWRITTEN LETTER ON SALVATION ARMY LETTERHEAD,
DATELINED "SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE," SEPT. 3RD, 1918, TO HIS COUSIN, DOROTHY
HORSTICK, OF PALMYRA, PENNSYLVANIA.  Original manuscript. 3pp, blue ink,
written in a neat hand, signed: "Andrew F. Irwin, Machine Gun Co., 145
Inf., APO 763, American E[xpeditionary] F[orces]."  8.5" x 5.25"  In the
original mailing envelope with a "Passed As Censored" stamp on it.  Good
condition.
Private Irwin, a displaced Lebanon County farm boy, begins by noting that
he would like to have been with Dorothy in Hershey, and that he's heard
from Sis in Lancaster. Sis told him that "the draft has drawn George
Zellers and Harry Poorman...suppose it has about gotten all the fellows
from the old town...." He is concerned about farm work on the homefront,
adding that it's "the same just now over here as the men and women are some
busy putting away the harvest." and he notes that in France "they work
everything by hand and still use oxen."  Pvt. Irwin has been in the French
countryside for three months without visiting a town. "The company I'm in
has been up on the front lines, and at last we know what it is to hear the
Artillery and Anti Aircraft Gun cough. This morning, the Artillery was
sending shells over our heads for about two hours...." He asks Dorothy to
send him a local newspaper, and closes with a message for Joe: "I am still
a little sore on the feet when it comes to hiking 8 or 10 miles with my
pack...," and he hopes that all at home are well.   $85.00

    *  R & A  Petrilla*

*          Antiquarian Booksellers                     PO Box 306
   Roosevelt, NJ 08555                   (609) 426-4999
<%28609%29%20426-4999>*

*      Member:  ABAA, ILAB, IOBA*