[Rarebooks] FS: WWI Soldier letters & ephemera

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:59:59 EDT 2016

Johnston, Sidney. WORLD WAR I ARCHIVE OF THIS SOLDIER WHO SERVED WITH THE
NEW YORK NATIONAL GUARD, LATER THE 107th INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1917-1918.
This archive contains three handwritten letters from Johnston, an envelope
addressed to his mother, a printed lunch menu, an original photograph, and
a mililtary census and inventory card.  Very Good condition.
Letter #1: 7pp, octavo, written in ink on the letterhead of “War Work
Council, Army & Navy, Young Men’s Christian Association, ‘with the
colors’”, with flag and defense symbols in red and blue. Undated, written
to “Aunt Grace." He hopes her move to Brooklyn went well. He then launches
into his description of army camp life: “hard work but interesting.” When
the 7th arrived, there was a mess shack, but the tents were on freight cars
and had to be transported to camp three miles distant, and it took three
days of “hard labor to remove all the debris” i.e. “trees and stumps,” in
order to build the company “street”. Sand seems to be everywhere as he
later notes, “we eat enough dust all day long.” Drilling, he reports is
“just starting to become interesting” and while some are working on digging
trenches and “football rushing” (learning to jump over trenches), his
Company “is working on the bayonet. Of course we will all have a chance to
learn everything that has to do with modern warefare [sic]…In all
probability, I’ll do all that I can to become proficient with the machine
gun.” &c., &c. ~~ Letter #2: 2pp, octavo, to Uncle Calder , numbered pages
8 & 9 and continuing the letter above. Sidney appreciates the clippings
Uncle C. sent and although he is writing to Aunt Grace, “the letter is ment
[sic] to be read by all the Johnstons.” He would “certainly like” to hear
from the family “as it is a long way from home, etc. ~~ Letter #3, 5-1/2pp,
octavo, Dec. 22, 1917, to “Dear Mother and all.” He is sure that “Roger
will make this Christmas one of the happiest ones you have ever spent…How I
would like to be there to enjoy watching him play with his new toys….”
Sidney adds that “NY Co. B 7th NG” gave $100 “for our [Christmas] dinner…”
and notes that in addition, “the plum pudding came today…that was a lovely
box that you sent…We are all saving our packages for Christmas and we will
have a tree in our tent….” He’ll be attending a party at Mrs. Elliott’s in
the evening and “tomorrow five of us boys are going to a farmer’s house for
dinner… a big home-made meal and a good time as well.” There follows a list
of relatives and friends who sent him money, and he adds “the two-spot you
sent was certainly thoughtful and I hope you didn’t pinch yourself in
sending it to me.” He wishes them all “a pleasant time together and don’t
feel bad because I’m wintering in South Carolina. Gosh! I’m having the most
beneficial experience a man could wish for….” Etc. ~~ Also in the archive:
An envelope addressed to Mrs. A[lbert] E. Johnston, 454 W. 152nd St., NY,
NY. postmarked from Spartansburg, SC, “Wadsworth Branch” with an American
flag printed on it in red and blue. + A printed lunch menu with red border,
dated Sunday, October 7, 1917, folded into a letter, with the blank
“envelope” portion bearing the printed return address “The Ottaray”,
Greenville, S.C. and the date written in pencil, + An original photo, ca. 4
½” x 2”, edges of top margin trimmed, depicting a soldier in uniform with
debris and a cart with men on it in the background, labeled “Major” on the
verso. + A printed card accomplished by hand, ca. 2 ½” x 4”, “State of New
York/Military Census and Inventory of 1917/by command of the Governor…”
certifying that the signer “has been enrolled in the census and inventory
of Military Resources of the State. The name filled in is “Albert S.
Johnston”, [Sidney’s father?], residing at “454 W. 152nd St.” (the address
on the envelope above). Signed in print by E.F. Goodrich, NYC Director of
Census, and signed by Agent “Gussie Braun.”   $125.00

Trade discount 20%, postpaid in US

    *  R & A  Petrilla*

*          Antiquarian Booksellers                     PO Box 306
   Roosevelt, NJ 08555                   (609) 426-4999
<%28609%29%20426-4999>*

*      Member:  ABAA, ILAB, IOBA*