[Rarebooks] FS: Sowerby: Rare People and Rare Books

info at johnhowellforbooks.com info at johnhowellforbooks.com
Wed Nov 2 12:22:39 EDT 2016

Offered today:

The first in a series of book seller memoirs I will be bringing to the
market soon. Sowerby worked for Voynich, Sotheby, and Rosenbach during
the first half of the twentieth century, and ladles out the inside scoop
on the premier books outlets of the era. A beautiful copy!

SOWERBY, EMILY MILLICENT (1883-1977).

_Rare People & Rare Books. With an New Introduction by Edwin Wolf 2nd_.

Williamsburg: The Book Press, (1987).

8vo. 8 3/4 x 5 5/8 inches. xxii, 248 pp. 3 black-and-white photographic
portraits of Voynich, Sotheby, and Rosenbach, index; text clean,
unmarked. Green cloth, spine titled in gilt, dust-jacket in archival
mylar; binding square and tight. Fine.

$ 30

FIRST AMERICAN EDITION, limited to 350 copies, of E. Millicent Sowerby's
memoirs with a new introduction by Edwin Wolf who was a fellow employee
with Sowerby at Rosenbach and Company of Philadelphia. Sowerby was born
in England and worked in London as a cataloger for book dealer Wilfrid
Michael Yoynich before serving as a counterintelligence agent in Paris
during World War I. After 1916, she worked as a cataloger at Sotheby's,
the first woman to work in that capacity in an auction house. In 1923,
Sowerby moved to the United States where she became a bibliographer for
A. S. W. Rosenback in 1923. In 1942, Sowerby was appointed Bibliographer
of the Jefferson Collection at the Library of Congress.

http://www.johnhowellforbooks.com/si/ZIK916-033.html

TERMS OF SALE: Offered subject to prior sale. California residents add
9% sales tax. Trade courtesy applies. Institutions may be billed.
Payments accepted include: check, credit card, and Paypal. $ 6.00
Priority Mail insured within the US; International shipping charged at
cost. Call to reserve, payment with order unless we have made other
arrangements.

Thank you for looking.

John Howell

www.johnhowellforbook.com