[Rarebooks] 1837 CORANUS ARABICE Flügel / Redslob,1st Edit w/ Dieterici: Arabisch Deutsches Handworterbuch 1894

Levant Books samarkandbks at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 12:18:50 EST 2016

We offer today:

CORONAS ARABICE, 1837 bound together with:1894 Dieterici German Arabic Glossary

1. CORANUS ARABICE. [Qur'an in Arabic]. viii, 529 pages (the pages are numbered in 'Arabic' numerals, not in Latin numerals), Edited by Gustav Leberecht Flügel and Gustav Moritz Redslob. Leipzig: Tauchnitz, 1837. First Edition.

This Qur'an is bound together with:

2. A glossary: Arabisch Deutsches Handworterbuch zum Koran und Thier und Mensch... by Dr. Friederich Dieterici. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung, 1894.183 pages.

To read the Qur'an, which is in the original Arabic, the book reads, of course, from right to left. To use the glossary, the book reads from left to right.

The binding is 1/2 leather. The paper covered boards are heavily scuffed and the corners are bumped and worn. The contents are very clean and bright. The two books were obviously bound together in the late 19th century. In some sections of the Arabic text there are some very very lightly penciled "tafsir" (exegetical) notes or definitions, done in two or three (maybe four - there is a bit that looks like Farsi) different languages - obviously the work of a scholar.

On the free front endpaper before the Arabic text (on what we would call the rear free endpaper if this were an English text) there is a light pencilled inscription that I cannot decipher - perhaps in German but I am not really sure of that.

US$ 1000.00 Postpaid in USA. International shipping at cost.

Robert Azzi

Exeter NH

USA