[Rarebooks] F/S Autographed Letter Signed A Vist to the Grant White House

Garry R Austin austbook at sover.net
Fri Sep 2 13:38:13 EDT 2016

-- We offer for your consideration the following, net to all and
postpaid @$50

This letter details a visit to the President U. S. Grant White House and
other places.

From
Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730
Wilmington, Vt. 05363
mail at austinsbooks.com
802 464-8438

Nettie ????; Autographed Letter signed, (Als); Washington D. C. Saturday
Night (c1869-1873). Four pages, orchid ink on plain Stationary to "Dear
Sarah". Nettie begins to relate news from her trip to Washington. The
train was "two hours behind time" "got good rooms", "breakfast a little
after nine", They go out sightseeing. She comments on the weather and
how nice it is, she is surprised by the number of women in "muffs".
They (she & Curtiss) were in the Capitol & Greenhouses for some hours
and would call on "Judge Cotton" in the afternoon. The Judge immediately
calls a carriage and takes her to the White House. After the East Room,
in the hallway she is introduced to General Dent; The general calls a
servant to take her and her friend through the rooms not open to the
public, the red, blue, & green rooms and others, She runs into Gen.
Baberch ?. Next to the carriage & the Treasury Building, Judge Cotton
gets them into the banking department, they observe the counting of the
gold & money; off again "to all the points he could think of"; met the
Senator from Iowa, "very agreeable & a nice looking man"; She declines
the Judges invitation to go to a literary event in a private home,
"though I know he would do all he could to make it pleasant" . The Judge
will join them for church Sunday morning, "a good thing as probably he
would not go otherwise". She has had too much sight-seeing.  Her
reference to Gen. Dent was Gen. Frederick Tracy Dent the Military
Secretary to the President U. S. Grant from 1869-1873. I was not able to
determine the identity of the other general mentioned nor do we have any
idea who "Judge Cotton" may have been.
Sent from Postbox