[Rarebooks] FS: Set of 60 Imagerie d'Epinal Comic Broadsides

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 6 07:20:44 EDT 2016

Complete Set of 60 Imagerie d'Epinal Comic Broadsides.

Kansas, Missouri, 1880s.

The George A. Smathers Library at Florida University notes- “Imagerie
d'Epinal were pictorial broadsheets that told simple tales done by the
Imagerie Pellerin of France, and reprinted by the Humoristic Publishing
Co. in Kansas, Missouri. These are important for the history of comics
and printing. In Father of the Comic Strip: Rodolphe Töpffer, David
Kunzle compares Töpffer's "kind of graphic naïvete and that of the truly
unschooled and awkward Imagerie d'Epinal". Kunzle argues "the subsequent
history of the comic strip occupies this middle ground but inclining
more to Töpffer than imagerie populaire". Kunzle's overall analysis
places Töpffer alongside the likes of Gustave Doré, William Hogarth,
Willhelm Busch, and George Cruikshank in publications like Punch, Le
Charivari, L'Illustration, and Illustrated London News”.

60 sheets. 12”x16”. Some sheets with wear and chipping and loss, a few
with tears.  [42719]  $1,200

Some Pictures =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page5.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page6.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page7.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page8.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42719-page9.jpg>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog363.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.