[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Margaret Mitchell Letter mentioning the poor health of Marjorie Rawlings, price reduced

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu Sep 8 13:03:08 EDT 2016

Price reduced to $1200 NET

MITCHELL, Margaret. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Atlanta, GA, 20 June
1938. Fine single-spaced two-page letter of @650 words with several
manuscript corrections on Mitchell's stationery to Herschel Brickell, a
noted book reviewer from Mississippi who served on the New York Herald
Tribune book section and who, at the time of this correspondence, was a
reviewer for the New York Evening Post. His review of Mitchell's book,
written before he became a close friend of hers, was one of the more
perceptive to appear drawing a parallel between the lives of Scarlett
O'Hara and the city of Atlanta, the only major review to do so. Mitchell
mentions a visit with a poet, Agnes Kendrick Gray, and encloses a
three-page typed poem SIGNED by Gray. Mentions another author, Willie
Ethridge, in a similar situation to hers: "The book has gone into a
second edition, so Mr. Latham tells me. Despite Willie's disclaimer in
the front of the book and her oft-repeated declaration that she made up
every character and incident, Macon, Georgia, responds unanimously, 'Oh
yeah!' I hope Willie can go back to visit there some day." Mitchell adds
a paragraph about the poor health of Marjorie K. Rawlings: "It is a
downright shame that she should be ill at this of all times, when 'The
Yearling' is doing so well...." SIGNED "M" by Mitchell. All of the
letters to Brickell that we have seen were signed by Mitchell either as
"Margaret" or as "M," an indication of the personal relationship she had
with him. Not in Richard Harwell's MARGARET MITCHELL'S "GONE WITH THE
WIND" LETTERS, though many others to Brickell are. Normal mailing
creases. Fine with the original typed envelope. (#001938)        $2,000.00

www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/001938.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com