[Rarebooks] FS: INSCRIBED Eudora Welty THE GOLDEN APPLES with a Handwritten Note on a Christmas Card, price reduced

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Sep 9 10:40:49 EDT 2016

Price reduced to $1000 NET

WELTY, Eudora. THE GOLDEN APPLES along with an AUTOGRAPH NOTE SIGNED
(ANS). New York: Harcourt Brace, (1949). First Edition. INSCRIBED by the
author for William Archibald "with best wishes" and SIGNED by her "at
Upper Grand View on May 26, 1956." Archibald, from Trinidad, wrote the
book and lyrics for two musicals: CARIB SONG in 1945 and THE CRYSTAL
HEART in 1960. The latter starred Mildred Dunnock and earned some praise
from the critics including this comment by Harold Hobson of the 1957
London production: "I would rather have written this failure than
successes like THE KING AND I and SOUTH PACIFIC." More to the point,
Welty in the early 1950s corresponded with Archibald in the hopes that
he would create a musical from her novel THE ROBBER BRIDEGROOM, a
project that never materialized. Laid into the book is a Christmas card
from Welty to Archibald showing a Santa on the deck of a ferry named
"Miss Noel." Inside the card Welty has written: "Variety tells me you
went to Europe for beginning CRYSTAL HEART, so who knows when the Miss
Noel will catch up with you. This is to say hello, Merry Christmas,
Happy New Year, and fabulous success with the London opening [it closed
after only four performances]. I'll be reading about it in the papers.
All the best for 1957 from Eudora." Welty has also added a one-line note
to Bean, Baldwin Bergersen, Archibald's companion and musical
collaborator. Archibald's loose bookplate laid in with the adhesive
stain from it on the front pastedown. Near Fine, lacking the
dustwrapper. (#010509)        $2,000.00

www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/010509.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com