[Rarebooks] F/S 1888 Letter on Illustrated Letterhead from NYC Coney Island, Central Park, The Tombs, (Jail), content and moreFF

Garry R Austin austbook at sover.net
Mon Sep 12 14:38:36 EDT 2016

We offer for your consideration the following, net to all and postpaid @$75
From
Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730
Wilmington, Vt. 05363
mail at austinsbooks.com
802 464-8438

Albert ????. Autographed Letter, Signed, New York, May 19, 1885 on
pictorial Grand Union Hotel Stationery, 3pp; to his wife. An interesting
and in some cases touching letter. He is staying at the Grand Union,
opposite Grand Central Terminal. Notably mentioned is his trip to Coney
Island, his jaunt thru Central Park, his visit to a convicted friend in
jail. He writes of his concern for his wife's health and details his
return journey plans.

The Illustrated Hotel Letterhead states; "Travelers or Families arriving
at or leaving Grand Central Depot, New York City for business, pleasure
or to visit summer resorts will find superior accommodations at this
hotel. European Plan 600 elegant room at $1.00 and upwards per day.
Richly furnished suites for families. Also rooms for Supper or Dinner
Parties. Restaurant, cafe and Wine Rooms supplied with the best at
moderate prices. Guests save $3.00 carriage fare and by handing their
baggage checks to Hotel Clerk can have it delivered to and from this
Depot in 15 minutes free of charge" W. D. Garrison, Manager.

Page 1;

New York, May 19th, 1885

Dear Wife,

By this you will see I am still here, left this A.M. at 7, breakfast at
8, I started to go down to the Aj, C. C. Office, before reaching there I
thought I would like a trip in the boat, so at South Ferry, where the
cars stop, I took a Steamer for Coney Island, that great pleasure resort
in summer for N. Y. people, went part of the way by steamer than by
steam cars. It is a large lot of two & three story wood hotels & Saloons
& ???  for shops, it is not yet opened nor will it be till June 1st, but
it is a huge seaside plan. The sea rolls in with a heavy surf, it was
indeed beautiful, spent an hour on the beach sloshing about and
Page 2
returned. I took another steamer from Staten Island, this was a longer
trip on the water, than the other, consequently more enjoyable, returned
at 2:40 went to the office, did my business & then took car for Central
Park. I then got in to one of the public carriages, spent 20 cents, had
a five miles ride occupying an hour, visited the ??? & then started for
GU (Hotel)  arriving at 6, dined and am now writing you at 7 PM.
Tomorrow night I shall take Fall River Boat for Boston & nothing
preventing shall be in Boston & throughout Thursday morning.
Today I feel much better having rested all last night & the steamboating
& the ride in Central & not much walking has caused me to feel much
better. I expect in this God's blessing a home fairly well, I can't say
quite well for that I do not expect but will feel satisfied if I am
nearly as well as before my illness.
So far I have said nothing about Mr. F?, I can tell you more than I can
write & that I will do as soon as I get home. I intend calling on John
tomorrow as I told you. I went to the jail with J? & was taken in a
cell, he looked, talked and behaved as usual. I could not see any change
in him, a wonderful man - he has had his trial but not his sentence yet,
he has been found guilty on 11 counts of the indictment, out of 24, his
council has moved for a new trial and is in hopes to have it granted.
Should it not be, he is sentenced, J? says it is said he will be
committed for life, a shocking thing to think. I hope it will turn out
better, that he gets a new trial and is cleared, this is my wish, as I
do not believe him guilty.
The day has been warm, I hope you are having it warm with you & that my
loved Mary is quite well,

Page 3
I feel guilty to be here and having a pleasant a (time?, loss of word) &
the darling of my life not with me but at home at work & so tired when
night comes that she can't get one foot before the other, Yes Mary, the
question is a serious one for you & should you become as lame as not to
be able to walk what would we all do, have you ever thought of this, if
you have not it is certainly time you did & endeavored to take the home
labor a little serious & you ought to do so with two girls.
Dear darling Mary for my sake if not for your own, say you will not work
so hard, Yes to think of you today and I am doing nothing, I do not like
to think of it & when I look at it in that light I thought I ought to go
home at once & be with my loved wife if not assisting her at least doing
something to help the work along. I should at most be only a few days
more absent if I continue to gain strength the difficulties of this work
as I am doing them these days past, I should not be long before I will
once more have my darling wife in my arms & give her a long loving kiss,
such as only husband & wife can both give & receive and sweeter than any
other endearment in this world as it seals our love for each other.
                                     Your Loving
                                             Albert
--
Sent from Postbox