[Rarebooks] FS: 1849 Cadets of Temperance NH Bylaws -Mark Twain was One

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Apr 24 07:08:41 EDT 2017

"Constitution - By-Laws and Rules of Order of the Granite Section of
Cadets of Temperance, No. 10, State of New-Hampshire"

Exeter; C.E. Clark, Printer: 1849.

The Manuscripts Division of the William L. Clements Library at the
University of Michigan, which holds Cadets of Temperance (N.Y.) Papers,
1847-1850, explains-

"The Cadets of Temperance [was] the youth wing of the Sons of Temperance
organization, which did not admit minors. The Cadets of Temperance
accepted members between 12 and 18 years of age, in an effort to instill
temperance values in children before they could acquire a taste for
alcohol. For its members, the organization prohibited the use of tobacco
and served as a mutual aid society in the case of illness. The groups
had many practices in common, including charging monthly dues of 10-15
cents and requiring parental consent to join. Members met weekly and
engaged in many fraternal rituals, such as the wearing of ceremonial
clothing and the use of passwords, songs, recitations, and elaborate
titles. Offices within the Cadets included the grand worthy archon
(G.W.A.), past worthy archon (P.W.A), grand worthy patron (G.W.P.), vice
archon (V.A.), usher, and watchman. Similar titles were also used by the
Sons of Temperance."

Samuel Clemens was a member for a short time, and recalled- "In
Hannibal, when I was about 15, I was for a short time a Cadet of
Temperance, an organisation which probably covered the whole United
States during as much as a year, possibly even longer. It consisted in a
pledge to refrain, during membership, from the use of tobacco; I mean it
consisted partly in that pledge and partly in a red merino sash, but the
red merino sash was the main part. The boys joined in order to be
privileged to wear it – the pledge part of the matter was of no
consequence. It was so small in importance that, contrasted with the
sash; it was, in fact, non-existent. The organisation was weak and
impermanent, because there was not enough holidays to support it. We
could turn out and march and show the red sashes on May Day with the
Sunday Schools, and on the 4th July with the Sunday Schools, the
Independent Fire Company, and the Militia Company. But you can’t keep a
Juvenile moral institution alive on two displays of its sash per year.
As a private, I could not have held out beyond one procession; but I was
illustrious Grand Worthy Secretary and Royal Inside Sentinel, and had
the privilege of inventing the passwords and of wearing a rosette on my
sash. Under these conditions, I was enabled to remain steadfast until I
had gathered the glory of two displays – May Day and the 4th of July.
Then I resigned straightway, and straightway left the lodge."

Much the same story shows up in Chapter 22 of Tom Sawyer- "Tom joined
the new order of Cadets of Temperance, being attracted by the showy
character of their "regalia". He promised to abstain from smoking,
chewing, and profanity as long as he remained a member. Now he found out
a new thing – namely, that to promise not to do a thing is the surest
way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing. Tom
soon found himself tormented with a desire to drink and swear; the
desire grew to be so intense that nothing but the hope of a chance to
display himself in his red sash kept him from withdrawing from the
order. Fourth of July was coming; but he soon gave that up – gave it up
before he had worn his shackles over forty-eight hours – and fixed his
hopes upon old Judge Frazer, justice of the peace, who was apparently on
his deathbed and would have a big public funeral, since he was so high
an official. During three days Tom was deeply concerned about the
Judge's condition and hungry for news of it. Sometimes his hopes ran
high – so high that he would venture to get out his regalia and practise
before the looking-glass. But the Judge had a most discouraging way of
fluctuating. At last he was pronounced upon the mend – and then
convalescent. Tom was disgusted; and felt a sense of injury, too. He
handed in his resignation at once – and that night the Judge suffered a
relapse and died. Tom resolved that he would never trust a man like that
again. The funeral was a fine thing. The Cadets paraded in a style
calculated to kill the late member with envy. Tom was a free boy again,
however – there was something in that. He could drink and swear, now –
but found to his surprise that he did not want to. The simple fact that
he could, took the desire away, and the charm of it."

Very scarce. Various states had numerous chapters, but these bylaws of
these are represented in OCLC records today by single copies, or
microfilm copies only. No New Hampshire bylaws are found.  $175-

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40199-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40199-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40199-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40199-page3.jpg>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.