[Rarebooks] FS: Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.: SPEECHES, 1891

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Aug 18 11:25:43 EDT 2017

HOLMES, Oliver Wendell, Jr. SPEECHES. Boston: Little, Brown, and
Company, 1891. First Edition. Original gilt-lettered white cloth. We
have handled several copies of this title over the years and all have
been bound in printed boards. This is the first time we have seen this
binding which is fancier and likely produced in a much smaller quantity.
A scarce collection of eleven speeches prefaced by the comment: "These
chance utterances of faith and doubt are printed for a few friends who
will care to keep them." Holmes served as chief justice of the
Massachusetts Supreme Court from 1899 until 1902 when he was appointed
to the United States Supreme Court by President Theodore Roosevelt, a
position he held until his retirement in 1932. Holmes became famous for
his liberal interpretations of the United States Constitution and was
known as the "Great Dissenter" because of his disagreement with the
views of his colleagues on the Court. His lectures on common law at the
Lowell Institute in Boston, collected as THE COMMON LAW (1881), are
considered a classic of legal writing. Speeches in this book include
"Harvard College in the War" and "The Use of Law Schools." Near Fine
example of a scarce title. (#018494)        $850.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/018494.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com

---
http://www.avg.com