[Rarebooks] FS: 1921 Dinner to Mr. Charles M. Schwab by Pacific Coast Shipbuilders

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Feb 9 07:22:34 EST 2017

 From our new Americana catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog370.pdf>

10. [Dinner]  Dinner to Mr. Charles M. Schwab by the Pacific Coast
Shipbuilders - Thursday, November tenth Nineteen hundred and twenty one
- Waldorf Astoria New York.

Charles M. Schwab [1862-1939] started his career in Andrew Carnegie’s
steelworks, eventually working his way up to President and negotiating
the secret sale of the company to an investor group led by J.P. Morgan.
After the sale Schwab and Morgan clashed and Schwab left to run the
Bethlehem Shipbuilding and Steel Company, which he built into the second
largest steel maker in the United States. “During the first years of
World War I, Bethlehem Steel had a virtual monopoly in contracts to
supply the Allies with certain kinds of munitions. On April 16, 1918,
Schwab became Director General of the Emergency Fleet Corporation, a
board granted by Congress with master authority over all shipbuilding in
the United States” (Wikipedia). This 1921 dinner to honor Schwab was
capped by the presentation of a bronze shaft sculpted by Haig Patigian,
featuring four panels representing Patriotism, Progress, Industry, and
Commerce. All four panels are illustrated here in full-page plates, and
there si also a full-page portrait of Schwab, the dinner menu, and a
description of the sculpture. Haig Patigian [1876-1950] “was an
Armenian-American sculptor, born in the city of Van in the Ottoman
Empire. He was largely self-taught as a sculptor. Patigian spent most of
his career in San Francisco, California and most of his works are
located in California. The Oakland Museum in Oakland, California,
includes a large number of his works in its collection, and more can be
seen in and around San Francisco City Hall. Patigian was an active
member of the Bohemian Club, serving two terms as club president”.

Semi-limp suede-covered covers. 9.5”x12”, title page, gravure portrait
of Charles Schwab, pages listing the dinner committee and the menu, a
page describing the sculpture, and 4 full-page gravure plates showing
the four panels. Minor wear, light soil.  [42762]  $125

Pictures ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog370.pdf>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.