[Rarebooks] FS: 1909 Chinese Porcelain -Jarves Collection at Auction

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jul 31 12:24:24 EDT 2017

“Catalogue of Beautiful Old Chinese Porcelains - the private collection
of Deming Jarves Esq.”
The catalog to an auction held by Thomas Kirby at the American Art
Association in New York on January 20th, 1909.

The Jarves Collection of Chinese porcelains had been the subject of an
article in The Connoisseur in November, 1901, which reported- "At the
early age of eighteen, while taking a trip round the world, he made the
first purchase for his collection, and has never turned since from his
allegiance to Chinese art…[his collection] contains a surprising
proportion of rare and even unique specimens, and every piece in it is a
good example of its kind for beauty of form and colour, and for
excellence of texture and design. Mr. Jarves has avoided what the
Western World calls the grotesque, and striven after the most graceful
in form and the purest in colour… Mr. Jarves can number at least one
piece in his collection for which the bitter price of human life has
been paid. Stolen from the Winter Palace in the autumn of 1895, it was
sold to a native dealer, who re-sold it to an American, to whom it was
traced by the Chinese authorities. He offered to return it, but it was
refused because of contamination by contact with 'foreign devils.' The
theft, however, was swiftly avenged — the native dealer banished to the
galleys for life, and the hapless thieves beheaded. So runs the story".
A January 18 New York Times article mentioned the sale and noted that
"we owe the dispersal of the carefully formed group to the San Francisco
earthquake and Mr. Jarves's subsequent determination to settle in
France".

Paper-covered card covers. 5"x7.5", 54 pages, 215 lots, 2 black & white
plates. Covers with light soil, minor wear.  [42359]  $100

Pictures ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42359-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42359-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42359-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42359-page2.jpg>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.