[Rarebooks] FS: History of Princeton U, with ALS

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 07:37:00 EDT 2017

Maclean, John.  HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY [PRINCETON
UNIVERSITY], FROM ITS ORIGIN IN 1746 TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF 1854 [with
letter].  Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1877.  First Edition.  Two
volumes. pp: 414; 450 with index.  Bound in maroon cloth, gilt spine
lettering and devices; minor binding soil.  With the book label of William
B. Wills on the pastedowns of both volumes. 9.25" x 6".  Very Good
condition.

Tipped at the front of Volume I is a two-page handwritten letter (ALS) from
John Maclean to The Honorable Benjamin Harris Brewster (1816-1888), dated
at Princeton, Feby. 25, 1880, in part: "My dear friend,...it always gives
me pleasure to hear from you and of you...For several years, I have visited
your city but twice...the first time to see what arrangements I could make
for the printing of my History of our College....Should I again go to
Philadelphia, as I may do once more, if the Lord wills, I shall endeavor to
see you....great improvements made here within the last few years...make
another visit to Princeton....I received the copy of your Dickinson College
discourse....With highest respect, Your friend, John Maclean."   [Brewster
was US Attorney General from 1881 to 1885.]  $175.00

Postpaid in US.  Usual trade terms.

    *  R & A  Petrilla*

*          Antiquarian Booksellers                     PO Box 306
   Roosevelt, NJ 08555*

*           bob at petrillabooks.com <%28609%29%20426-4999>**        Member:
 ABAA, ILAB, IOBA*

*​ *