[Rarebooks] FS: Going Bananas in 1904...

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jun 16 07:21:56 EDT 2017

 From our new Recent Acquisitions catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog379.pdf>

[Banana]  A Short History of the Banana and a Few Recipes for Its Use.

Published in Boston by the United Fruit Company. No date, but about
1904.  An early promotional booklet by United Fruit encouraging
Americans to eat more more more Bananas! Starts with a history of the
development of banana farming and importing which ends by concluding
that the only economically feasible way to bring consistently
high-quality, affordable bananas to America was to monopolize, um, was
to make everybody involved, from grower on up, their “partners”. This
informative section is followed by an essay on the banana as food, and a
selection of recipes, suitably illustrated in color. The last pages show
a map of all the routes United Fruit steamships travel and promote their
mail & passenger services. Entertaining in a Colonialist sort of way.

Softcover. 5”x7”, 31 pages, color and black & white illustrations. Minor
soil, lower front cover corner chipped, o/w minor wear.  [43434]  $85

See illustrations->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog379.pdf>

  - - - -

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.