[Rarebooks] fa: GEORGICAL ESSAYS 1803-04 - Alexander Hunter - 6 vols./ENGRAVED FOLDING PLATES

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 6 10:04:49 EST 2017

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, March 12. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/hemmxnd

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Alexander Hunter: Georgical Essays: by A. Hunter, M.D., F.R.S.L.&E. York: Printed by T. Wilson and R. Spence, High Ousegate, for the Author; and sold by J. Mawman, Poultry [et al], 1803-1804. First edition thus. Six volumes (complete), tall 8vo (ca. 22.5 cm); vols. I & II bound in early/period diced calf, vols. III-VI untrimmed in original publisher's boards with printed spine labels; with a folding table, engraved folding plates. Fussell, II, p. 92; Kress B4687.

Revised and much expanded from the original four-volume edition of 1770-72. Most of the essays were written by Hunter himself, a physician as well as an agriculturalist, founder of the York Lunatic Asylum and co-founder of the York Agricultural Society. Bindings with rubbing and wear; foxing to title-page of vol. II, a few light pencil marks in the margins of vol. I; some of the plates a bit browned, occasional mild toning to the the text leaves, but generally very clean and fresh, securely bound.