[Rarebooks] FS: 1838 Letter: School for Moral Discipline to William King Maine Governor

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Mar 9 06:58:47 EST 2017

1838 Letter & Tuition Bill from E.M.P. Wells of Boston's School for
Moral Discipline to Maine's First Governor, William King, About His Son
Cyrus William King.

An interesting letter, and bill for services, both dated 1838.

The bill, simply dated September, includes boarding & school fees of $6
a week, and also extra fees for "Knife + pencil - tissue paper -
dressing case + another knife - present to his mother blank book -
spending money - repair to spy glass - music book - Expns's to Cambridge
- portfolio, knife, pocket book & RR excursion". It includes a
handwritten note at the bottom- "My Dear Friend, I have some idea of
visiting Europe during the winter months of the present season,
providing it is agreeable to the parents of my scholars. Some parents
are desirous of having their sons accompany me, in which case the
expense for the three months will be increased beyond the present $6 per
week $100, and (illegible) students will be continued each day. if I go
I expect to sail the last of Nov. I shall leave the superintendence of
the school H.W. Nelson Esq., a gentleman whom I have educated, and who
is well acquainted with my mode of education having been with me from
the age of 12 to 21, and in my employ as an assistant several years.
Your friend, E.M.P. Wells".

The separate letter says- "M.S. School Sept 18th 1838 - My Dear Friend.
I hasten, the first leisure moment, to answer yours of the 13th Inst
both because I am anxious to relieve your anxiety if possible + also
because your letter had been long in coming. It pains me very much that
it is not in my power to restore your son to his former standing. I have
given to my boys a constitution by which I am governed as much as they +
I believe they cannot in any case accuse me of departing from it or
acting with partiality. Your son knows all this. He knows too that I did
as little in his case as I could do justly + if the fact of his having
returned to Bath the second time unknown to any but himself + me I
should be obliged to do more- As it is he has been degraded but one
grade + that not a disreputable one + he can regain that grade the
(illegible) in school in those months from the time of his return. I
suppose the difficulty is in his feelings -when we look through a
jaundiced eye things look dismal. I suppose he has perhaps
unintentionally given things a worse aspect than he ought to. One very
important error, alluded to in your letter, is that of his being
(illegible) the control of the boys much younger than himself. In this
respect there is no difference between his present + his former
situation. I have endeavored to (illegible) towards him + converse with
him in the kindest manner but with less success than I could wish until
the last two or three conversations, which I had last week pleased me
much he was sensibly affected + I am happy to say appears much better,
since which he has written to you. I mention his writing to you today in
answer to that which I received yesterday but he says that he thinks his
loss will render it unnecessary to write so soon. He seems cheerful +
happy as I have known him at any time. Your sons letter had got mislaid
I have not yet seen it. I shall (paper loss) much obliged if you will
inform me if Mrs. King feels in any measure happier from your sons
letter + perhaps this. Should she not + her health seems depending on
the (illegible) of those doings (illegible) to his absence I will (altho
I cannot do it myself) make such representations of its effort on Mrs.
K. that I trust the boys may be willing to vote an exception in this
case. Will you forgive me my dear sir for dropping one kiss + if I seem
impertinent forgive it as from a friend. From the best judgement I can
form of your sons character + disposition I think if he were to marry at
the age of 20 one (illegible) he could love respect + enjoy + whose
connexions would be such as would extend his connexions in the best
variety I think it would justify all his desires + he would become a
(wax seal over text) member of society early + permanently. Will you
excuse and (illegible) Your fr'd E.M.P. Wells".

Rev. Eleazer Mather Porter Wells (1793-1878) was a deacon in the
Protestant Episcopal Church who founded The School For Moral Discipline
in 1835. An 1839 description notes- "This school is situated on City
Point, opposite Fort Independence, commanding a beautiful view of the
harbor, islands, and shipping, and enjoying a most pure and exhilarating
atmosphere. The school consists of senior and junior departments, each
containing twenty five boys." Cyrus William King (1819-1881) was the son
of Maine's first governor, William King, and Ann Nesbith (Frasier) King.

Letter. 7.75"x9.75". Minor soil, light toning, paper loss where the wax
seal was broken, taking some paper with it. Tuition Bill. 8"x10". Minor
soil, light toning, edge loss. [42550]  $150

Some Pictures =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42550-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42550-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42550-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42550-page3.jpg>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.