[Rarebooks] F/S 1920 Publisher's Broadside Reproducing War of 1812 Broadside

Garry R Austin austbook at sover.net
Tue May 23 16:16:05 EDT 2017

For your consideration we offer the following net to all and postpaid at $95

Shaw, Thomas. Peace between the United States of America and
Great-Britain: Ratified by the President of the United States, February
17, 1815 Broadside. Portland Me.: A. J. Huston, (1920). Broadside
measures 19.75 x 12 inches with two woodcuts at right and left sides of
the title word "Peace"; 1920 reproduction of Shaw's "Ratification of the
Treaty", (see Williamson, "Maine" V-2, p-417) Probably printed at nearby
Portland, Me. - Shaw et Shoemaker, 35917. - Text in four columns; relief
cuts flanking title; printed area measures 46.2 x 29.3 cm. - Verse in
two parts with, respectively, thirty-two and thirty-nine numbered
stanzas; first line: Hark, O my soul! what dost thou hear. - Wegelin, O.
Amer. poetry, 1143. Toned, with smoothed folds.

A. J. Huston was a publisher and bookseller in Portland Maine. He
published W. P. Daggett's "Down East Yankee" that contained the Diary of
the author of this poetic broadside, Thomas Shaw of Standish Maine. This
reproduction printing of the Poem with the slug at the foot states that
one may, "Read Shaw's Diary in "A Down East Yankee" By W. P. Daggett. On
Sale at A. J. Huston's, Portland, and at all Maine Bookshops". So we
have a publisher's broadside reproducing a poetic broadside, "Peace...."
regarding the end of the War of 1812. Remarkably scarce as you would
imagine.

From
Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730