[Rarebooks] FS: 1840s 1850s Letters of English Watercolor Watercolour Painter Copley Fielding

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed May 24 07:26:46 EDT 2017

Three Letters from English Watercolor Painter Copley Fielding.

England, 19th century.

English watercolorist Anthony Vandyke Copley Fielding (November 22, 1787
– March 3, 1855), went by the name Copley Fielding. As a youth he was a
pupil of John Varley, and in 1810 he became an associate exhibitor in
the Society of Painters in Water Colours. Named a full member in 1813,
he became President in 1831 and served in that office until his death in
1855. He also taught watercolor painting to a large and enthusiastic
body of students.

This lot consists of three letters:

1) "26 Newman Street, May 29, 1844. Dear Sir, I much regret that I was
not at home when you bid me the favour of calling in Newman street
yesterday, and beg to thank you for your kind communication. It will
ever be a source of much gratification to me to know that I have lived
in the esteem of so excellent a man as our friend Mr. Hills & I should
always appreciate most highly the kind token of his remembrance. I have
had the happiness of being associated with him for more than thirty
years, & I may say that every succeeding year has shown me some
additional cause for my esteem & regard. I will take the first
opportunity of calling in, & sending to Hatton Garden to give
instructions about the size of the ring. You are probably aware that, as
Sec. to our tormented friend you will have some claims on the Soc. of
Painters in W.C. but these cannot be ascertained until after the
settling of the Society's accounts after the close of the Exhibition. I
remain, kind sir, very truly yours, Copley Fielding -P.S. I owe you many
apologies for not having sooner acknowledged your (illegible) attention
in conveying to me the melancholy tidings of Mr. Hills decease. I was
out of town at the time, & am most ashamed to have to say that, in my
hurry, I forgot that your (illegible) was being (illegible)."

The "Mr. Hills" was Robert Hills (1769–1844), a landscape and animal
painter noted for his watercolors, of which he exhibited more than 600
at the Society of Painters in Water Colours during his lifetime. He was
among the founders of the Society in 1804, and was its first secretary.
After resigning in 1812 (the Society had voted to allow oils to be shown
at its exhibitions, and he took offense) he rejoined in 1823, was
treasurer from 1827 to 1831, and served as secretary again from 1832
until his death in 1844.

2) "Mr. Copley Fielding begs to return Mr. Lackington many thanks for
the favour of the ticket to see his valuable Picture by Murillo. He is
sorry that he cannot comply with Mr. Lackingtons request as he has no
power to grant tickets of admission to the ExOn' of the Society of
Painters in water Colours. Mr. C.F. cannot therefor under such
circumstances think of availing himself of Mr. Lackingtons hospitality.
20 Newman Street. May 9th.".

Interestingly, although not dated, it is highly probable that Copley
Fielding was the President of the Society of Painters in Water Colours
when he wrote this letter.

3) "Mr. Copley Fielding presents his best compliments to Mr. Harris, &
has the pleasure of enclosing a Cheque for the amount of his account,
with sincere Thanks for all of his very kind attentions. 5 Park Crescent
Jan'ry 18. 1855".

Three letters. Each about 4.5"x6.5". Some soil, folds. previously
mounted, with slight paper remnants on the verso of several letters.
$125-

Some Pictures =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39956-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39956-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39956-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images394/th-39956-page3.jpg>

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.