[Rarebooks] FS: First Edition of Upton Sinclair's THE JUNGLE with a Fine Quote SIGNED by Sinclair, price reduced

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Nov 21 13:13:25 EST 2017

Price reduced to $3750 NET

SINCLAIR, Upton. THE JUNGLE. New York: Jungle Publishing Company,
(1906). First Edition. Bound in full black morocco leather by Root & Son
with five raised bands, gilt lettering and dentelles, top edge gilt.
First state with the "Sustainer's Edition" label mounted on a front
blank. Sinclair's powerful exposure of the Chicago meat-packing
industry, still a staple on the menus of many high school reading lists.
His account of the social and human abuses of the yards, where packers
used "everything about the hog except the squeal," led to major reforms
in the industry and, along with UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, is one of the few
American novels to have a lasting impact on the way we live our lives.
Indeed, when this book was published Jack London said, "What Uncle Tom's
Cabin did for black slaves, The Jungle has a large chance to do for the
white slaves of today." President Theodore Roosevelt was so shocked by
what he read that he made sure a clean meat act, the Pure Food and Drug
Bill, was signed into law, popularizing at the time the rather obscure
term "muckraker." Later in life, Sinclair said of his masterpiece: "I
aimed at the public's heart and by accident I hit it in the stomach."
This copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on a front blank to Thomas
W. Lawson and with a quote in the author's hand from his earlier book
JOURNAL OF ARTHUR STIRLING: "'Oh thou black jungle of a world!/There
savage beasts through forest midnight roam,/Seeking in sorrow for each
other's joy.'" Lawson was a wealthy stock speculator and author of both
fiction and nonfiction books concerning the stock market. Although he
once paid a florist thirty thousand dollars for a single carnation for
his wife, his fortunes declined after writing an expose of the market
and he died a relatively poor man. Fine with an outstanding
presentation. (#014363)        $6,000.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/014363.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com

---
http://www.avg.com