[Rarebooks] FS: Manuscript Copy of the Sweet By and By; Sanford Fillmore Bennett entirely in his hand and Dated, Presented and Signed by Bennett.

Allington allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 11:20:31 EDT 2017

Below is the description.  Go to our eBay listings to see images.  Our eBay link is
https://goo.gl/LRR7xw

A Very Good or better MANUSCRIPT COPY of THE SWEET BY AND BY LYRICS by their author SANFORD FILLMORE BENNETT written entirely in Bennett's hand, with a presentation by him to Miss Mary C. Day, PLACED AND TWICE DATED ON FEBRUARY 8, 1886 by SANFORD FILLMORE BENNETT. QUITE SCARCE.

[The song was first published in 1868.]

The Manuscript Copy is written on a sheet of paper measuring approximately 7 7/8 inches X 5 1/8 inches. The paper shows a number of bend and crease lines as well two horizontal folds, with each fold shows a short tear beginning on the sheet's right side. There is a small tape repair to the sheet's lower left corner.

In his Autobiography, Bennett described the composing of the song, the music to which was written by his good friend Joseph Philbrick Webster as follows:

Mr. Webster, like many musicians, was of an exceedingly nervous and sensitive nature, and subject to periods of depression, in which he looked upon the dark side of all things in life. I had learned his peculiarities so well that on meeting him I could tell at a glance if he was melancholy, and had found that I could rouse him up by giving him a new song to work on.

He came into my place of business [in Elkhorn, Wisconsin], walked down to the stove, and turned his back on me without speaking. I was at my desk. Turning to him, I said, “Webster, what is the matter now?” “It’s no matter,” he replied, “it will be all right by and by.” The idea of the hymn came me like a flash of sunlight, and I replied, “The Sweet By and By! Why would not that make a good hymn?” “Maybe it would,” he said indifferently. Turning to my desk I penned the words of the hymn as fast as I could write. I handed the words to Webster. As he read his eyes kindled, and stepping to the desk he began writing the notes. Taking his violin, he played the melody and then jotted down the notes of the chorus. It was not over thirty minutes from the time I took my pen to write the words before two friends with Webster and myself were singing the hymn."

The song has been covered by a Who's Who of Music including Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton, The Statler Brothera, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Acapella, Randy Travis, Loretta Lynn, Maranda Lambert, Jim Neifhbors, Nat King Cole, and by many others.

Best Wishes,

Stephen
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC

Sent from my iPhone