[Rarebooks] FS: 1794 Study of Norman French Armorial Tiles at St.-Etienne

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Apr 30 08:11:57 EDT 2018

“Two Letters on the Origin, Antiquity, and History of Norman Tiles,
Stained with Armorial Bearings” By John Henniker. Published in London;
printed by John Bell...Bookseller to His Royal Highness, the Prince of
Wales, in 1794 [mistakenly noted as 1796 by Solon].

The earliest work in English located by Solon dealing specifically with
tiles, and now very uncommon. Solon notes- "The armorial-bearing tiles
described in these letters belonged to a pavement, now partly destroyed,
which adorned the state-rooms of St. Stephen Abbey (cataloguer's note:
now known as The Abbey of Saint-Etienne, it is considered to be one of
the most notable Romanesque buildings in Normandy), or 'Abbaye aux
hommes' at Caen, built in 1077 by William the Conqueror. Although local
traditions and ancient chronicles agree in considering these tiles as
containing the scutcheons of the noble families which accompanied
William, Duke of Normandy, in his expedition, the date of their making
cannot correspond with that of the building of the Abbey. One of these
tiles bears the Royal Arms of France, adopted by St. Louis, and it is
well known that the armorial bearings were not in use before the
crusades; the pavement cannot be, therefore, anterior to the thirteenth
century". The author's brother, a Captain in the English military, had
been a resident of Caen and sent the first description of the armorial
tiles to the author, who then tried to interest British antiquarians in
them, with apparently limited success.

The tiles are described here, quoting a Dr. Ducarel- "The floor is paved
with tiles...each near five inches square, baked almost to
vitrification. Eight rows of these tiles running from east to west are
charged with different coats of arms, generally said to be those of the
families who attended Duke William in his invasion of England. The
intervals between each of these rows are filled up with a kind of
tessellated pavement; the middle whereof represents a maze or labyrinth,
about ten feet in diameter, and so artfully contrived, that were we to
suppose a man following all the intricate meanders of its volutes, he
could not travel less than a mile before he got from one end to the
other".

A scarce and desirable tile book.

Hardcover. 5.5"x8.5", 114 pages plus 3 engraved plates reproducing
twenty tile designs; bound in period marbled boards with a new leather
spine and new endpapers. Boards worn and scuffed. Very minor internal
toning and a few light pencil notes but overall internally a very nice
copy with wide margins. [38491]  $350

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-page3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-page4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-page5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38491-page6.jpg>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.