[Rarebooks] FS: Terence in English, 1614

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 08:00:02 EDT 2018

Terence.  TERENCE IN ENGLISH. FABULAE COMICI FACETISSIMI ET ELEGANTISSIMI
POETAE TERENTII OMNES ANGLICAE FACTAE, & hac noua forma editæ: opera ac
industria R.B. in Axholmiensi insula Lincolnsherij Epwortheatis.
[Translated by Richard Bernard, 1568-1641.].  Londoni: Ex officina Iohannis
Legatt celeberrimæ Academiæ Cantabrigiensis typographi,, 1614.  Quarta
editia multo emendatier . pp: (vii), 428; engraved portrait, title-page
decoration, tailpiece on final page; top edge trimmed close with loss of
some running heads, not into text.  Bound in period calf; covers
blind-tooled with frames and floral corner devices, paneled spine with tan
leather label, rubricated edges; front board loose and present.  6.75" x
5". Good condition.
[STC 23892.]  Provenance: The front pastedown bears the armorial bookplate
of C.J. Mc. I. Lomer, VIII Hussars; and the May 1912 signature of a
descendant is on the free endpaper. Ticket of T. James & Co., Second-hand &
New Booksellers, 34, Bernard Street, Southampton, Est. 1849.  Early
signature of Thos. I. Gregory at top of title-page, with his note in Latin
farther down the page.   $400.00

Postpaid in US.  Usual trade terms.

    *   R & A  Petrilla*

*          Antiquarian Booksellers                   PO Box 306
 Roosevelt, NJ 08555*

*           www.petrillabooks.com <%28609%29%20426-4999>**       Member:
 ABAA, ILAB, IOBA*