[Rarebooks] FS: Stiegel Glass - New Jersey Antique Glassware -1914 Limited Edition

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Tue Dec 11 07:31:02 EST 2018

“Stiegel Glass” by Frederick W. Hunter. Published in Boston and New York
by Houghton Mifflin Company in 1914. Edition limited to 420 signed
copies.

A classic, well-written and researched study of American glassmaking. As
glass historian Kirk Nelson, writing in Ames & Ward's bibliography of
American antiques, noted, Frederick William Hunter "set a standard of
excellence for factory histories that seldom has been surpassed."
Although Hunter, working in collaboration with his brother-in-law and
fellow Americana collector J.B. Kerfoot, was overzealous in his attempts
to attribute much too much glass to the Stiegel factory, his book
nonetheless "remains the most comprehensive study of this celebrated
eighteenth-century Pennsylvania glass manufactory. In the first two
major sections Hunter provides a detailed biography of Henry William
Stiegel and illuminates the account with information drawn from period
documents. Typescripts of many of these documents are presented in the
Appendix...the second section explores the materials, techniques and
products of the Stiegel glasshouses."

Hunter's style and presentation have also been widely praised- Helen
McKearin notes in her preface to the Dover edition of 'Stiegel Glass'
that "in all American glass literature, 'Stiegel Glass' alone approaches
belles letters." George McKearin once wrote "As a beginner in collecting
American glass I pored for hours over the pages of this fascinating
book."

Hunter was a well-known collector of antique glass of all kinds, and
much of his collection of American glass was presented to the
Metropolitan Museum of Art's American Wing galleries in 1913.

Hardcover. 7.5"x10.5", 272 pages, 8 color plates and 159 black & white
illustrations; publisher's yellow cloth with gilt titles and a blue &
white pitcher on the cover. The covers have some wear and soil (please
see the photos, above and below). The book itself has some minor soil,
but otherwise is clean and nice, with a tight binding.  Warmly inscribed
to friends for Christmas by Hunter.  $150

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page6.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page7.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page8.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page9.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page10.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page11.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-38915-page12.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.