[Rarebooks] FS: The Spectacles by Edgar Allan Poe - 1938 Poe Hoax

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Wed Dec 12 07:36:40 EST 2018

“The Spectacles by Edgar Allan Poe”

Published in Philadelphia by Richard Gimbel in July, 1938. No. 43 of an
edition limited to 100 copies (the limitation appears on the inside of
the back cover in very hard-to-read black print on dark blue).

Theoretically a long-lost variant of Poe’s short story, “The
Spectacles", published in 1844. That was what the leading Poe collector
of the day, Richard Gimbel believed when he “discovered” it and had it
printed in this special, limited edition in 1938. But alas, Baltimore’s
Edgar Allan Poe Society, which may be considered the last scholarly word
on the issue, lists the publication on its website under “Miscellaneous
Texts and Related Items: Forgeries”.

The Poe Society continues- ‘The Spectacles’ — supposedly 1830 — source
uncertain, claiming to have been published by Carey & Lea in
Philadelphia. (This text was printed in Liberty magazine for September
24, 1938 and was reprinted as a pamphlet by Richard Gimbel in 1938. It
is certainly a modern fake, see Savoye. The text appears to have been
taken from a reprint of the story in Godey’s Lady’s Book for April
1836)”.

Card covers. 3.5”x5.5”, 14 pages. Minor soil, light wear. [43792]  $250

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43792-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43792-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43792-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43792-page3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43792-page4.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.