[Rarebooks] FS: 1858 Calais, Maine Cross-Written Letter w/California Steamboat Content.

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Sat Dec 15 07:47:34 EST 2018

An Interesting 1858 Calais, Maine Cross-Written Letter with California
Steamboat Content.

“Calais Dec’r 16/58 - Uncle Moses - Yours rec’d letter of the 10th came
to hand informing us of the death of Aunt Coffin. I saw her death a day
or two before yours reach(ed) us. We (illegible) Boston papers. I have
often thought of her since my last visit to your city, as I felt when I
parted with her it was a farewell parting in this world. It must be a
great comfort to her bereaved Children to reflect that they were so
situated as to be able often to visit her, minister to her wants in her
declining years. I now think she is joined to loved and long since
deceased, we have no reason to mourn but rather rejoice that our
Heavenly Father was so kind to her in her last days and made her bed of
Death so soft and easy. I rec’d a letter about 10 days since from my
sister Mary in Illinois, informing us of the death of a daughter aged 19
years, she has lost two before this & has now living 2 sons & 4
daughters - one married + lives a short distance from, her brothers.

Last week we rec’d a letter from Mr. Carroll from Helena - father in law
of George - giving us the sad intelligence that George was very sick &
from all appearances nearing his end- he had bought a situation back in
the center of the Island and had moved out- soon after he was taken with
a coughing spell which continued until he has got (illegible) very low -
he has every attention that can be had + the best of medical aid had
from what Mr. Carroll wrote. I expect every day to hear that he too has
gone to rest- thus we see that this is not our home. I feel that we are
all loudly called upon to put our houses in order for we know not what a
day may bring for thus we are all drawing daily nearer to that bosom
from where no traveller returns. I often think of the many dear friends
+ relatives, who have passed away from these scenes of sin and sorrow to
a world of beliefs + happiness, there to bask in the sunlight of GOD’s
countenance(?). I sing the song of the Redeemer, may we all beg GOD’s
blessing + assistance, strive to live that we too may be at last
permitted to meet that happy circle around GOD’s throne never more to
perish.

And now for my own family we are all in usual good health, we have 2
sons + one daughter. Gorham my oldest son 20 years of age is in
California, he (illegible) 2 years ago for himself, he had letters of
recommendation from Merchants here to Gentlemen in Boston, he started
and went to Boston, bot a small stock of Goods, + came back, opened a
store for (illegible), he continued in the business until last August
when he sold out his whole stock to a man here + settled up his
business, + started for California, he has been wanting to go for 2 or 3
years, but I was not willing as he was so young, but I found he was set
upon it + was not satisfied here, he had letters of recommendation from
Gentlemen here and also from his Boston friends, one of our merchants
here gave him a letter when he left authorizing him to draw on him for
$300 at any time if he wanted, two other men told him to draw if he
needed + they would pay his drafts, he was a young man (altho
(illegible) some) that had many friends, as he was of steady habits +
(illegible), he left N. York the 10th of September, + arrived at San
Francisco after a passage of 24 days, after stopping there a day or two
he went up to Sacramento, to his friends, then he met my sister Lucy +
her husband Alfred Redington / formerly of Augusta in this state / + my
Brother Charles, + they were all glad to see him. Mr. Redington is the
general agent for all the (illegible) Steam Boat from San Francisco up
to Sacramento + from there to Marysville + other places + also part
owner of the line + from what I learn from those well acquainted with
him, has made himself rich, he + Charles has been out there 5 years.
Lucy + her two children went out about 2 years since.

Charles is the Clerk of one of the Boats that runs from Sacramento up to
Marysville + has $150 a month (illegible). Mr. Redington has put Gorham
on to the same Boat with Charles as Baggage Master, with the promise of
a better birth as soon as there is a vacancy. Lucy wrote me that her
husband likes Gorham very much + would do all he could + give him a good
chance to make money as he found him “as Lucy says”, a young man of good
habits + principles -we hear from the every mail- they are all happy
together, they go up to Marysville one day + back the next + (illegible)
on board the boat all the time but every other evening they are all
together at Lucy’s + Sunday afternoons (as the boat comes down in the
morning) they all attend church together. We feel very easy about him
knowing he is among friends, altho we miss him very much, how long he
will be away from home we cannot tell, but if he has his health + is
prosper’d I think he will stay some 4 or 5 years. Charles says he thinks
about coming (illegible) this way in the course of 2 years. California
is a delightful country to live in and all who go there like the climate
much.

I have a letter last week from Gorham, he says I expect (illegible) you
are now all froze up + have snow + good sleighing - here we are having
fine weather the grass just springing up + the trees in Blossoms -
Remember me to all of Aunt Coffins daughters + also to Aunt Lewis(?) +
(illegible) daughter, my Wife + daughter join in the (illegible). Should
be glad to hear from you or any of your family whoever (illegible) to
write.

Yours kindly, G.J. Burchill. || I saw a few days ago in in the Boston
paper the death of Mr. John Barnard of Dorchester aged 90. If I remember
right he was a distant connection of Aunt (illegible).”

The December 28, 1858 edition of the Sacramento Daily Union has an
advertisement for the California Steam Navigation Company, A. Redington,
agent, which ran a number of steamers on several local routes, including
the steamers ‘Cleopatra’ and ‘Governor Dana’ from Sacramento to
Marysville on alternate days of the week. An interesting example of a
cross-written letter with good early California & steamboat content.

Sheet folded to make 4 pages, each page 7.5”x9.5”. Minor soil, folded.
[42784]  $150

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42784-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42784-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42784-page2.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.