[Rarebooks] FS: Two 1934 Photos of Hap Arnold’s Alaska Tour B-10 Crash in Fairbanks

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jan 8 08:33:38 EST 2018

Two 1934 Photos of Hap Arnold’s Alaska Tour B-10 Crash in Fairbanks.

Here we have two dramatic views of the crash of one of ten B-10s
involved in General Henry H. "Hap" Arnold’s 8,290-mile round-trip flight
from Washington, D.C. to Fairbanks, Alaska in 1934. Arnold, who called
the B-10 "the air power wonder of its day," undertook this project to
prove that the new bomber could make such extended flights, and to train
USAAC personnel in carrying them out. The B-10s left Washington on July
19 and arrived safely in Fairbanks on July 24. They spent several weeks
conducting flights and aerial photography around the territory,
eventually covering some 23,000 square miles, before leaving Alaska on
August 16, arriving back in Washington on the 20th. The trip was
uneventful with a single exception- while they were tootling over
Alaska, “engine trouble forced one plane to land in the water of Cook's
Inlet at Anchorage. The plane was pulled from the water and ‘dried out’
before completing the return flight to Washington, D.C.”.

These two photos of the crashed ship are signed in the negative by
Hewitt’s Photo Shop of Anchorage, Alaska. Hewitt’s was a large drugstore
which developed and printed photos in the 1930s and 1940s- the Liston
Collection at the Anchorage Museum has 8,000 postcard negatives by
Hewitt’s. There is at least one image of this crash taken by a USAAC
photographer which does not resemble either of these; it would seem
unlikely that the USAAC would have photos developed and printed at a
local drugstore, or at least allow the drugstore to mark them, so it
seems possible, if not probable, that these two images were taken by a
private photographer. An internet search finds no record of them having
been published.

“The Martin B-10 was the first all-metal monoplane bomber to be
regularly used by the United States Army Air Corps, entering service in
June 1934. It was also the first mass-produced bomber whose performance
was superior to that of the Army's pursuit aircraft of the time. A total
of 348 of all versions were built”.

Two black & white photos. 9.5”x7”, and 10”x6.75”. Some creases / folds
and several short rips. [430/43709)  $175

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43709-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43709-cover2.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

- -

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.