[Rarebooks] FS: 1919 London Glass Painters & Glaziers Company History

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Jan 23 07:21:24 EST 2018

1919 London Glass Painters & Glaziers Company History

“History of the Worshipful Company of Glaziers of the City of London,
otherwise the Company of Glaziers and Painters of Glass”  by Charles
Henry Ashdown. Published in London byBlades, East and Blades in 1919.

The origin and rise of the Glaziers Company and the art of glass
painting in England, descriptions of the charters and deeds, regalia,
arms, masters, and the Minute Book from 1697 to 1919.

The Company's website notes- "The existence of the Guild of Glaziers is
first recorded in 1328. Glass was a luxury item and as important then in
weatherproofing buildings and letting in light as it is today. The
medieval members would have been craftsmen or masters of workshops
mostly making plain leaded windows. Stained glass was generally confined
to cathedrals and other churches where it was used to depict Biblical
subjects for educational as well as decorative purposes. Most of the
coloured glass used in such windows was originally imported from Europe
and skilled craftsmen from the continent also worked in England,
although they were not entitled to join the Guilds. During the Middle
Ages the Glaziers came under the jurisdiction of the Lord Mayor of
London and the Court of Aldermen, which after a while proved unable to
protect their interests successfully. The Glaziers therefore sought a
Charter of Incorporation from the Privy Council which was granted by
Charles I in 1638. However, in 1683 Charles II revoked all the powers
granted to the Glaziers, along with those of many other City Livery
Companies. Partial restitution was achieved in a new Charter granted by
James II in 1685, and complete reinstatement of rights in 1689. A
supplemental Royal Charter was granted by HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1956.
The Company is number 53 in the Livery Companies' Order of Precedence."

Hardcover, 6 plates and 2 maps, folding copy of a document showing
"Prices for Glazier's Work" in 1818. The covers have some wear and
scuffing (please see the photos, above and below). The book itself has
some minor soil, but otherwise is clean and nice, with a tight binding.
[38508] $50

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-page3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-page4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-page5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images382/th-38508-page6.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

- -

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.