[Rarebooks] FS: Aleister Crowley, 1 of 11 in Vellum

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Sun Jan 28 18:12:03 EST 2018

Offering:

CROWLEY, Aleister. Introduction by Martin P.
Starr. THE SCENTED GARDEN OF ABDULLAH THE
SATIRIST OF SHIRAZ. (Bagh-i-Muattar). Deluxe
Edition, limited to 11 copies, Bound in Full
White Vellum with Silk Ties. Chicago, IL: The
Teitan Press. 1991. Deluxe Vellum Edition.
Octavo. 137pp. The Rare Deluxe issue, bound in
full vellum with green silk ties, yapp edges, the
spine titled in gilt, top edges gilt. This deluxe
edition was issued in an extremely limited
edition of 11 unnumbered copies only. A fascimile
of the original edition of 1910, with a new
Introduction by Crowley scholar Martin P. Starr.
A fine copy. For bibliographical details, see
"The Aleister Crowley Desk Reference" by J.
Edward Cornelius (Teitan Press, 2013).

  The 1910 edition was printed in an edition of
only 200 copies (plus 10 on vellum), but many of
these were destroyed in a customs seizure not
long after publication. A second customs seizure
in 1924 depleted the number of surviving copies
yet further, and it is consequently one of
Crowley's rarest works. Crowley wrote in his
CONFESSIONS: I spent most of my time writing
ghazals, purporting to be by a certain Abdullah
al Haji (Haji, with a soft ìhî, satirist, as
opposed to Haji with a hard ìhî, pilgrim) of
Shiraz. I caused him to flourish about 1600 A.D.,
but gave to the collection of his ghazals the
title Bagh-i-Muattar (The Scented Garden), which
implies the date 1905, the value of the Arabic
letters of the title adding up to the equivalent
of that year of the Hegira. I also invented an
Anglo Indian major to find, translate and
annotate the manuscript, an editor to complete
the work of that gallant soldier (killed in South
Africa) and a Christian clergyman to discuss the
matter of the poem from the peculiar point of
view of high Anglicanism. The ghazals themselves
are rendered sometimes in the supposed original
monorime, sometimes in prose, and the annotations
contain a great deal of the more esoteric
information about the East, which I had picked up
from time to time. It is especially to be noted
that, although I have packed every kind of
magical and mystical lore into the volume, there
is nowhere any reference to The Book of the Law.
I was setting my whole strength against the
Secret Chiefs. I was trying to forget the whole
business. The book itself is a complete treatise
on mysticism, expressed in the symbolism
prescribed by Persian piety. It describes the
relations of God and man, explains how the latter
falls from his essential innocence by allowing
himself to be deceived by the illusion of matter.
His religion cease to be real and become formal;
he falls into sin and suffers the penalty
thereof. God prepares the pathway of regeneration
and brings him through shame and sorrow to
repentance, thus preparing the mystical union
which restores man to his original privileges,
free will, immortality, the preception of truth
and so on. I put the last ounce of myself into
this book. My previous efforts in the same
direction would have deceived nobody, but the
Bagh-i-Muatar, despite my inability to produce
the Persian originalómy excuse was that it was
rare and held the most sacred and most secret,
but was being copied for meópersuaded even
experienced scholars that it was genuine. It was
issued by Probsthain & Co., by private
subscription, in 1910. I have heard of a copy
changing hands at fifty guineas." - The
Confessions of Aleister Crowley. London: Jonathan
Cape, 1969, Pages 451-452. Note: Crowley met
Herbert Charles Jerome Pollitt in October 1897
and is said to have been involved with him in a
homosexual relationship. Pollitt is memorialized
by Crowley in Chapter XLI ìThe Riddleî. By taking
the first letter of each line of the poem, the
name ìHerbert Charles Jerome Pollittî is spelled
out. In the next chapter, ìBagh-i-Muattarî, an
acrostic spells out Crowleyís name in reverse.

$1,500.00 US

---
Michael John Thompson, Antiquarian Bookseller

THOMPSON RARE BOOKS
Mailing Address:
5275 Jerow Road
Hornby Island, BC