[Rarebooks] F/S 14 Photographs Cuba 1915 Three related to the Jack Johnson / Jess Willard Fight

Austin austbook at sover.net
Mon Jun 4 13:07:13 EDT 2018

For your consideration we offer the following net to all and postpaid at $150.00

A group of 14 photographs taken in Cuba on a trip by Journalist and Theodore Roosevelt confidant Albert Shaw. There are three photographs that are taken in front of a poster on a wall announcing the upcoming fight between Jack Johnson & Jess Willard in April of 1915. I have been unable to identify the men in these pics but suspect that they are “Sports” and may be fighters themselves. Willard won the fight by a knockout in the 26th Round.

Included is an advertising card from the Hotel Telegrafo. “The Best Hotel In Cuba”; Each picture measures 2.25 x 1.5 inches and are glossy prints. The other scenes appear to be government buildings. These came from the estate of Shaw but are otherwise unmarked. An interesting and unusual bit of ephemera.

Austin’s Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730
Wilmington Vt 05363
mail at austinsbooks.com <mailto:mail at austinsbooks.com>