[Rarebooks] FS: Geo. Estes' scarce & curious work on the western stagecoach. Troutdale, OR: 1925

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 12:37:50 EDT 2018

Estes, George. THE STAGECOACH. [Six-Horse Limited Edition]. Troutdale, OR: Geo. Estes. 1925. 8vo. xvi,409,(1)pp.  Illus. with a limitation leaf, signed by Estes (#195 of 1,000 so stated), a photo of Estes, signed by him, a folding hand colored plate of a stagecoach, a hand colored plate of an Indian head, 3 black & white plates, an orig. mounted watercolor, titled "Undine," a hand colored plate titled "The Cow Parsnip Trail," and a tipped in packet of cow parsnip seeds. On p. 409 there is a hand colored marginal illustration, heightened with glued down gold flakes. Orig. half blue morocco over gilt boards, spine extremities a bit rubbed.    $375.00 (trade discount allowed)
A very curious work with much on stagecoach robberies, pioneer life in Oregon & the stagecoach, etc. See Adams SIX GUNS #684, who states, "This scarce and unusual privately printed book." It is very unlikely that 1,000 copies were printed and bound. There is a copy on-line (#102), our copy (#195) and only 33 copies recorded by OCLC. It's the first time I've ever seen it in 42 years in business.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342