[Rarebooks] FS: 1860 American Manuscript Fourth of July Oration - Hancock Massachusetts

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Mar 19 19:59:40 EDT 2018

Massachusetts Manuscript: Fourth of July Oration Delivered at Hancock
July 4th 1860.

A manuscript Fourth of July oration touching at length on slavery and
the ongoing political struggles on the eve of the Civil War. The
anonymous author provides a fairly standard recitation of the events
leading to the Revolution, reminds the audience that the period after
the Revolution and before the adoption of the Constitution was one of
great peril, controversy and struggle, and then muses, at some length,
that it is ion adversity and “agitation” that both individuals and
nations find their greatest strengths and that our prior struggles “have
given tone and vigor to out national character”. I think we all see
where he is going with this- mention is made of politicians and others
who agitate for their own ends and interests and advocate disunion, “But
I trust that the sound strikes upon your ears as did the British balls
upon the cotton bales of New Orleans, only to rebound”. He hopes that
eventually the time will come “when the South shall not only feel the
injustices of their ‘peculiar institution’, but shall see that interest
alone requires them to unite in making this a truly free and independent
nation”. He then discusses the ongoing Presidential election and hopes
that those on the losing side may take their loss with grace and
understanding. The oration closes by noting a large number of things
that Americans, even in these troubled times, have to be grateful for,
and concludes by quoting a Longfellow poem. A fine snapshot of public
feelings, at least Northern ones, on the eve of the Civil War.

Self-wrappers. 8”x10”, lined paper, string bound. Title and 13 numbered
pages. Minor soil, light wear. [43550]  $750

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43550-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43550-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43550-page1.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.