[Rarebooks] FS: 1930s Shopping in Kyoto with Hana-San Tourist Guidebook

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri May 4 07:41:50 EDT 2018

 From our new Recent Acquisitions catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog387.pdf>

1930s Shopping in Kyoto with Hana-San Tourist Guidebook.  $85

Published by the Kyoto Fine Art Dealers Association. Not dated, but
probably mid 1930s.

“Hana-san is just a cute little Kyoto girl, born and raised in the
ancient capital. She is just eighteen, and quite sophisticated for
Japanese. Papa-san says she must marry soon but she says - ‘pleas wait
more longer. Hana-san not ready yet’. Anyhow, Hana-san will be your
companion on this shopping trip as only Hana-san can and do”. Welll.
alright then. It doesn’t get less racist from there, with the text
consisting of English just fractured enough to be cute, but good enough
to still sell the merchants to would-be shoppers. On the positive side,
it does provide an outstanding survey of 1930s Kyoto artists and
artisans and art dealers, providing descriptions of the leadings shops
and mentioning many proprietors by name. Hana also takes a few pages to
discuss hotels and restaurants. Charming in its own unique way, and very
informative.

Ribbon-tied softcover. 4.25”x7.5”, 30 pages, line illustrations and a
13.5”x14.5” color folding map. Light cover soil, map with slight rip.
[44681]

Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-44681-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-44681-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-44681-cover3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images440/th-44681-cover4.jpg>

More from our new catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog387.pdf>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

- -

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.