[Rarebooks] FS: 1861 autograph letter of Benjamin P. Judah (a key figure in the Confederacy) and the first Jewish U.S. Senator.

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 18:41:13 EDT 2018

(AUTOGRAPH LETTERS) Benjamin, Judah P. ALS. Richmond: August 18, 1861, on "Confederate States of America, Department of Justice" stationery with embossed stamp. The letter, written to the Secretary of War of the CSA, the Hon. L. P. Walker, reads "My dear Sir. The bearer Lieut. Frank P. Stubbs is one of my personal friends and I am very anxious to serve him. He will explain his wishes to you and whatever you can do to oblige him will confer a favor on yours truly, J. P. Benjamin."
    At this date Benjamin was the first Attorney General of the CSA, appointed by Jefferson Davis, Feb. 25, 1861, and Walker was the first Secretary of War. In Sept. of 1861 Walker resigned and Judah Benjamin was appointed as the second Secretary of War.  He become the Secretary of State of the CSA in March, 1862.
    Lieut. Stubbs was from Monroe, Louisiana and a successful lawyer. Benjamin and Stubbs must have befriended one another through law and politics. Benjamin had been a lawyer in New Orleans and later became the first Jewish U.S. Senator, serving Louisiana from 1852 to 1861, until the outbreak of the Civil War.    $2,500.00 (trade discount allowed)

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342