[Rarebooks] FS: Two Fine Letters by Philosopher George Santayana

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Fri Nov 30 15:34:46 EST 2018

SANTAYANA, George. TWO AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs). Rome, 1925 &
1927. Two AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED as "G. Santayana" by this
Spanish-born American poet and philosopher who is thought to be the
originator of the oft-used expression: "Those who forget the past are
condemned to repeat it." Both letters are to S(harpless) D(odson) Green,
American educator. The one-page letter is an affirmative response to a
request to sign one of his works for Green. The more interesting
two-page letter on both sides of one sheet is a response to Green's
solicitation of a letter offering his pupils life advice and is
addressed "To the Group of Young People in the Trenton High School who
have chosen me for a temporary 'Guardian.'" The letter begins: "When I
was a young man I once went to give a lecture at Bryn Mawr College, and
as I entered the hall I heard a voice gasping in a distressed whisper:
'But he is bald!' ... One man is seldom a good model for another nor
altogether edifying at close quarters: he may inspire love, but that
very love must screen and idealize him, if his influence is to be
entirely good. The best 'Guardians' are like Guardian Angels and other
more or less imaginary beings... The few literary men or philosophers
that I have known have seemed to me rather poor specimens of humanity;
and I have always preferred nice simple people, when they were willing
to be my friends.... If you should find yourself some day ... in too
narrow a business or domestic round, you may naturally think of artists
and rich men as leading a superior life but they probably don't. But the
works and traces of great men, such as I see about me so conspicuously
here in Rome ... are a stimulation and refreshment to others; and they
help make us happy and superior to the private accidents of life." Much
more. Both envelopes are present, one with the address typed and the
other handwritten by Santayana. Creases from mailing with a short split
and paperclip stain to the longer letter. Near Fine with excellent
content. (#019024)        $1,500.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/019024.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825