[Rarebooks] FS: TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC with a Superb Inscription to an Original Cast Member, price reduced

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Oct 10 10:26:40 EDT 2018

Price reduced to $1700 NET

MICHENER, James. TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC. New York: The Macmillan
Company, 1949. Tenth printing of Michener's first book, winner of the
Pulitzer Prize. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author to the actor who
created the role of Capt. George Brackett in the original Rodgers and
Hammerstein Broadway musical: "To Martin Wolfson,/In a character that
does/not appear in this book, you/catch the precise & wonderful/spirit
of what I was trying to/do. I have been deeply impressed/by your art &
your sympathetic/understanding. It's been great/fun knowing you &
watching your/performances./Your admirer, /James A. Michener."
Michener's inscription takes up most of the front endpaper, but just
above it is another inscription to Wolfson that we surmise is by the
actor William Tabbert who played Lieutenant Joe Cable in the original
production and who shared several scenes with Wolfson: "To Martin/In
appreciation of his/splendid performance which/added much strength
and/reality to the whole production/from his friend/Bill." SOUTH
PACIFIC, the musical, won its own Pulitzer Prize, a New York Drama
Critics Circle Award, and nine Tony Awards. Its memorable hits include
"Some Enchanted Evening," "Bali Ha'I,""There is Nothing Like a Dame,"
"I'm in Love With a Wonderful Guy," and "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right
Out-a My Hair." It is rare to find copies of this book inscribed by
Michener to original cast members of this historic American musical.
Some light spotting to the cloth. Very Good, lacking the dustwrapper,
with a great inscription. (#011592)        $2,500.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/011592.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825