[Rarebooks] fa: HENRY ALKEN - SYMPTOMS OF BEING AMUSED 1822 - 37 Hand-Colored Plates

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 15 12:34:35 EDT 2018

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, October 21. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/ycwcr73u

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Henry Alken: Symptoms, of Being Amused. Vol. I [all published]. London: Thos. McLean: Repository of Wit and Humour, 1822. First edition. Oblong folio (36 x 25.5 cm) bound in early half morocco and ribbed cloth, gilt-lettered title to upper board; one text leaf (“Symptoms of a Preface”) + 37 (of 42) hand-colored plates including the title-page. Tooley 57.

Although “Vol. I” appears on the title-page, no other volume was ever completed. All the plates are dated 1822; paper watermarked “J Whatman Turkey Mill" 1821-1822. Binding with wear and some loss to the lower fore-corners, exposing the boards; a few plates with closed tears to the margins, some with old repairs; occasional spots and marginal stains; but generally clean, the coloring bright and fresh. Alken's lively depiction of sporting life and other aspects of Regency England.