[Rarebooks] Antiquarian Auctions Sale No. 74 Is about to Begin

William Van Nest trilliumbooks at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 17 21:52:16 EDT 2019

We invite  bids for our offerings (and those of quite a few others) in Antiquarian Auctions Sale No. 74 which begins shortly and runs for a week  ending Thursday, 25th April. In all, well over four hundred lots are on the block.

In particular, you might want to take a run at any one of several of our books, for example:

R. W. Murray. The Diamond-Field Keepsake for 1873.  Featuring seven fine early photographs of sites around the diamond fields laid down; vignette on title page miniature of His Excellency Sir H. Barkly. From the Port Elizabeth sales catalogue of 1952: "In these pages the early days of Kimberley are described and a valuable account of the history up to this period is given. With a lively account of O'Reilly’s visit to the Van Niekerks’ farm where the first diamond was spotted. The photographs, some full-page and others folding panoramic, actually show true to life the doings on the diamond-fields in the early rush.”

Henry Salt.  A Voyage to Abyssinia, and Travels into the Interior of that Country. First edition (1814), with thirty-seven fine maps and engravings. A testimony to the advantages of being able to sketch and draw (Henry’s talents as a draughtsman were useful to Annesley on his tour into the East even though he struggled to delineate arms and hands).

To view all seventeen of our titles on offer, please go to https://antiquarianauctions.com/sellers/trillium-antiquarian-books <https://antiquarianauctions.com/sellers/trillium-antiquarian-books>.
My book-buying friend who once complained about all the Africana on offer has begun, shall we say, to modify his views. As he is a fair-minded gentleman,
I am confident some of the offerings in this sale will encourage his progress down this new path. Even though he missed out, I think the three volumes of the Savoy with Beardsley illustrations in the earlier sale were persuasive.

This time David can bid on an association copy of De Tocqueville’s Democracy in America, Thomas Malthus’s Political Economy, and an inscribed Jean-Paul Sartre’s Les Chemins de la Liberte. If, however, like me, the prospect of acquiring titles like these causes his head to begin to throb, there is certain pleasure in Arthur Rackham’s A Dish of Apples (signed by Rackham), Peer Gynt, and The Vicar of Wakefield (also signed).

But he will no doubt see for himself at
antiquarianauctions.com <http://antiquarianauctions.com/>

Best wishes from Canada,

WM