[Rarebooks] FS: Thoreau MANUSCRIPT from his important essay, LIFE WITHOUT PRINCIPLE

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Mon Apr 22 09:09:05 EDT 2019

THOREAU, Henry David. THE WRITINGS OF HENRY DAVID THOREAU [WORKS] with a
leaf of manuscript. Boston: Houghton Mifflin and Company, 1906.
Manuscript Edition. Large octavo (6" x 8-3/4"), 20 volumes bound in
original green buckram. Illustrated with a folding map of Concord and
103 plates with lettered tissue guards. Manuscript edition, in original
binding. Number 536 of 600 sets SIGNED by the publisher and with an
ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT sheet by Thoreau tipped into the first volume. The
two page manuscript fragment comprises 55 lines, much of it with a big
"X" by Thoreau over the text. What is not crossed out, however, is one
of Thoreau's best-known paragraphs from his important essay, LIFE
WITHOUT PRINCIPLE: "Just so hollow and ineffectual, for the most part,
is our ordinary conversation. Surface meets surface. When our life
ceases to be inward and private, conversation degenerates into mere
gossip. We rarely meet a man who can tell us any news which he has not
read in a newspaper, or been told by his neighbors, and, for the most
part, the only difference between us & our fellow, is that he has seen
the newspaper, or been out to tea, & we have not. In proportion as our
inward life fails, we go more constantly & desperately to the post
office." The rest of the paragraph, not present here: "you may depend on
it, that the poor fellow who walks away with the greatest number of
letters, proud of his extensive correspondence, has not heard from
himself this long while." Most of the manuscript has been "X"ed by
Thoreau and may or may not be published, but certainly is interesting.
In part: "Mere numbers, noise, & tinsel count as nothing, though many
think that they are all. We have just had a state muster -- a sort of
military picnic -- in our usually quiet town of Concord, heralded by
many trumpets, as if it were something worth attending to. But the only
observation that I made during all those days was, that the town was
fuller of dust than it was ever known to be before." Light wear. Near
Fine with an exceptional manuscript offering.

LIFE WITHOUT PRINCIPLE originated as a lecture called "What Shall It
Profit," first delivered at Railroad Hall in Providence in 1854. It was
the 46th of the 75 lectures Thoreau is known to have given and was
delivered 5 more times in the next two years. It is considered by many
to be preeminent among his essays, his most concentrated statement of
his major message, his equivalent of Emerson's SELF-RELIANCE. Of this
essay, Walter Harding in THE DAYS OF THOREAU said: "... in a few pages
the very essence of Thoreau's philosophy.... It is pure
Transcendentalism, a plea that each follow his own inner light." This
edition also marks the first printing of Thoreau's entire Journal.
(#019250)        $15,000.00

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825