[Rarebooks] FA: Antiquarian Auctions Sale No. 77

William Van Nest trilliumbooks at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 26 12:27:36 EDT 2019

On preview until Thursday, 29 August, you will find upwards of 500 titles on a wide range of subjects offered at auction by Antiquarian Auctions (antiquarianauctions.com <http://antiquarianauctions.com/>).

As he perused (Book collectors “peruse” catalogues in the same way our cat, Princess Di Di the Avenger, regards a chipmunk perched on the porch railing) the offerings of Antiquarian Auctions Sale No. 77, my friend David was seen to raise a quizzical banker’s eyebrow.  Just what it was that had caught his attention wasn’t immediately revealed, for he is a canny gent, but there’s a good chance it was Lot 5 (Thomas Bertholin- Anatome ex Omnium Veterum Recentiorumque Observationibus or Lot 7 (William Burroughs- Naked Lunch, Paris, 1959) or Lot 9 (Jean-Paul Sartre- Les Chemins de la Liberte) or even Lot 10 (John Bradley’s original artwork for the “4.3 Alvis Concealed Head Coupe” circa 1937- 1939).  There are quite a few among the five hundred to peruse, including many Africana titles, as one expects, but I think the Alvis would be a favourite. David is also a car man.

Our own listings include, among more than a dozen titles: George Thompson’s Travels and Adventures in Southern Africa, S. Thomas Herbert’s Some Year[e]s Travels into Divers Parts of Africa and Asia the Great, Henry Salt’s A Voyage to Abyssinia, and Anders Sparrman’s A Voyage to the Cape of Good Hope. All worth perusing.

The auction sale extends from 29 August to 5 September. There is no buyer’s premium.

Best wishes,

WM

William Van Nest
Trillium Antiquarian Books IOBA