[Rarebooks] FS: About Festivals. 1904 Bedford Iowa Catholic Study

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Tue Jan 1 08:02:31 EST 2019

About Festivals. A Copy of a Letter to Mrs. Margaret Haddock, Bedford,
Iowa.
Published by the author in Iowa City, Iowa in 1904.

An interesting and uncommon study written as a letter to the author’s
niece. “In the dreary zero days of the past February I amused myself
reading up the old festivals. What is more appropriate, on this ‘holy
Saint Patrick’s day in the morning,’ than to give you what I learned of
them.” The coverage is hardly exhaustive, but includes mention of Native
American festivals, ancient pagan holidays, Jewish tradition, and so on,
all tied to Christian festivals as practiced in the Catholic church.
Haddock maintains a decidedly unbiased and even merry tone throughout.
When speaking of Groundhog Day, for instance, he concludes- “We do not
think the church has taken any steps yet to overreach the ground hog.
Exorcisms may yet be tacked to the little animal and it be made a sort
of scapegoat to carry off the sins of the Elders to its burrow or
somewhere”.

No copies of this booklet are located by OCLC, though there is one in
the Haddock Papers at the University of Iowa, where he was a Trustee and
mover & shaker for some 4 decades. “Hon. William J. Haddock, a resident
of Iowa City, and engaged in the practice of law, was born February 28,
1835, near Belfast, county Antrim Ireland; came to America in 1849;
landed at Philadelphia, PA. He was married August 2, 1865, to Miss Emma
Humphrey, of Tipton, IA a graduate of the State University. She was the
first woman admitted to practice law by the U.S. Court. Mr. Haddock was
admitted to the bar in 1862, and entered the law office of Hon. Rush
Clark as a partner February 8, 1867, and remained such until his death.
He graduated from the normal department of the State University in June,
1862. He was appointed September 23, 1872, judge of the eighth judicial
circuit court of Iowa, and served the unexpired term. He was appointed
secretary of the board of regents of the State University June 28, 1864,
and has served in that capacity continuously since. He was appointed by
the Secretary of the Interior of the United State on a committee to
investigate charges of fraud against the Indian Agent of the Pawnee
tribe. A Republican in politics and is an active and earnest worker in
all matters pertaining to his party” (History of Johnson County, IA
1836-1882).

Softcover. 7.25”x9.5”. 22 pages. Minor cover soil, light wear. $50

A Picture ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-42759-cover.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.