[Rarebooks] FS: 1845 Treatise on Picture Collecting and Collections

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Sat Jan 26 07:55:39 EST 2019

White, Robert.  “Treatise on the Knowledge Necessary to Amateurs in
Pictures. Translated and Abridged from the French of M. Francois-Xavier
de Burtin”

Published in London by Longman, Brown, Green and Longmans in 1845.  The
original edition, published in Brussels in 1808, contained an extensive
and detailed catalog of the personal picture collection of M. Burtin,
which White judged to have not been of sufficient interest to his
English readers to warrant the expense of including here. White has also
updated some material to reflect current scholarship, and has added
information concerning prices realised at auction for pictures in major
collections in France over the prior hundred years. The main text
remains as close to the author's original as White was able to come, and
begins with a lengthy discussion of what makes a good picture before
moving on to how to judge pictures, how to judge a picture's state of
preservation, how to recognize copies, how to analyze and describe a
picture, a description of the principal schools of painting,
classification of pictures by subject, why 16th and 17th century
pictures are superior to 18th century works, the differing manners of
the Masters, signatures, DePile's 'Balance of Painters', cleaning
pictures, varnishes, remarks on public galleries in Europe, and how to
form a private collection.

Hardcover. 6"x9", x + 338 pages, 3 lithographed plates, 1 tinted;
publisher's dark green embossed cloth with gilt spine title; covers a
bit worn and rubbed, tips soft, some internal foxing and discoloration,
including to the plates.  [37743]  $65

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images375/th-37743-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images375/th-37743-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images375/th-37743-page2.jpg>

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.